Meet Jaces Story

I stared at Tony in horror as he picked up his book bag and began to fill it with the glass statues that stood above the fireplace.

"Tony!" I exclaimed.

He ignored me and walked up to the large painting of Jesus. "Hosanna." He said to it.

"Wh-" to my surprise the painting swung open to reveal a safe. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pin then expertly twisted the knob and opened the safe. It was filled with money.

I gasped. "How did you know that was there?" I asked astonished.

"Kennedy was my best friend. I practically lived here." He answered.

I leaned my head against the column trying to get myself free.

"Don't bother." Tony said to me. "The more you pull the tighter it gets."

I glared at him. "I hate you."

He stepped closer to me. "I need to get this money to my sister. When I'm done you're going upstairs to your room and you're going to sleep. Tell everyone that you didn't hear anything."

He paused and seemed to be thinking before he said his next few words. "I'm sorry Dakota. I know I could have come when you weren't home so that you wouldn't be involved, but I don't have much time."

I understood what Tony was trying to do so for some reason decided to help him. I also wanted to help Lacey. It was a split second decision that was probably the stupidest decision of my life but I could tell Tony was desperate.

"No." I said. "That won't work. Me being conscious and tied to this column won't make it seem like I was robbed. This is what's gonna happen. You knock me out, I'll say that the last thing I remember was you rushing to the hospital and then somebody came in and tied me up, knocked me out, then robbed the house." I explained.

Tony gave me an odd look. "You would do that for me?" He asked.

I shook my head at him in disappointment. "When we're done here, we're done." I told him.

He frowned. "Dakota, it doesn't have to be like that."

"Will you just knock me out already?" I demanded.

"I don't think I can." He admitted.

"Just do it." I said through gritted teeth.

I closed my eyes bracing myself, at first I didn't think he would do it but then he struck me and everything went black.

-:¥:-

"Don't stand so close! Give her some space!"

"Don't push me you idiot!"

"Well then listen to me!"

I heard scuffling and groaned. "Can you two knock it off?" I grumbled.

More scuffling. I opened my eyes to see Jace and Quintin racing to my bedside.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Jace asked me clutching my hand. He looked so worried which really confused me.

"I'm fine. I just have a headache." I said rubbing my head.

"Quintin get out." Jace said without looking away from me.

"No-"

"I'll tell mom." Jace threatened. "You know what."

Quintin groaned loudly and got up slamming the door behind him.

"Tell mom what?" I asked frowning.

Jace rolled his eyes. "That's what you're worried about?" he shook his head. "What happened?" He asked seriously.

"Tony and I were...working on homework," Jace made a face. "But then he had to rush to the hospital. His sister is there...I kept working for a little bit and then I heard some noise from the kitchen. Someone was trying to break through the back door. I tried to hide but they saw me and tied me up. Then they knocked me out." I explained smoothly.

"Did you see the face?" He asked me. My head was hurting too much for me to process such stupid questions. All I could remember was my story.

"If I saw the face, don't you think I would have said so?" I demanded irritated.

He frowned. "Do you know what it was like for me to come home to see you tied up and slumped over in your own home?!" He exclaimed. "I had no idea what happened to you and I thought-I thought..." he was gripping his hair in chunks.

"Jace." I said pulling his arms down.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you." I apologized. "I'm just...why do you even care?" I asked him. "You don't even-"

Jace cut me off with his lips.

I was so shocked, I didn't move while he kissed me. He pulled back slowly.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...." he scratched the back of his head.

We sat in an awkward silence as I tried to process what just happened.

I pulled my knees up to my chest. "Why did you kiss me?" I finally asked him.

He shrugged. "It's...umm...I was uh-okay, I'll tell you a story."

I rolled my eyes. It was just like him to change the conversation. He took a deep breath and leaned closer to the bed.

"Once upon a time there was a boy who lived with his seven brothers and crazy Hispanic cousin. One day while he was exploring the beautiful beaches of Puerto Rico, he found out that his mothers best friend had a son who was was going to be living with them for a while. He thinks, oh great, another guy. But then he returns home to find a girl that's changed the whole dynamics of the house. She's befriended his brothers and earned the heart of his stepfather, who up until that point, he didn't think had a heart. He also found that this girl was very pretty, she's funny and creative. He finds that...He likes her, but one day she appears with a date, and then a boyfriend and he thinks he's lost her already, so he tried to push her away by treating her like garbage. But at points where he think he does have a chance, he's really awesome to. her," Jace grinned at me cockily. "Then she breaks up with the superstar and he thinks he'll finally have the guts to ask her out, but then she appears at school with someone else, and not just any someone else, one of his greatest enemies. More recently, the boy finds the girl really hurt and seeing her in that position really shows him how much he cares for her. He decides that he doesn't want to pass up any more chances, so he kisses her, the rest is history."

I smiled at Jace. "That was a beautiful and oddly realistic story. Who was the girl?" I asked him.

"Jennifer Laran." He replied, mentioning the young Hollywood superstar and smirking at me.

My eyes widened. "Wow. You're right, she is pretty."