Chapter Twenty

Please read the author note at the end it's very important❤️!
•••••••••••••••••••••••••
HAILEY

Two weeks have passed. And guess what? I won the bet. I'm even surprised, I knew I would win.
According to Ryland's counts, I killed 34 Infecteds and Ross 32. Too bad for him, only 3 others and he was beating me. Oddly, he didn't protest or sulk. It was probably because  our relation improved during the past two weeks. We argue less than before, and sometimes we even help each other. Our shooting lessons went on, and I was getting better and better everyday thanks to Ross. I still needed him to accompagn my movements though.

We just came back home from patrol and we are all tired, so we sit down in the living room.

"Hey guys you know what? We should watch a movie tonight, we don't do that very often, and we could celebrate  Hailey's overwhelming victory!"
Ross glares at Ryland and punches him in the ribs with his elbow.

"Good idea Ryland." Riker intervens. "It will take our mind off."

"So, what shall we watch? A comedy, a thriller?" Rydel proposes. She stood up and sat down next to the T.V already.

"Uh... Guys. Start without me, I'm going outside to get some fresh air." I say, getting up.

"As you want." Rydel smiles at me.

To tell the truth, I don't really like movies. And I want to leave them, you know, so they'll have a sibling evening, I don't really know how to call this. I hope they realise how lucky they are to still have family. Mine has been killed just at the begining of the Infection.

I go out of the house and head for the barn. What I'm looking for is behind. Let's say it's my spot. I found a car pretty comfy with an old radio and some cassette tapes. That where I go when I want to be alone and think about some things, or when I want to relax listening to old songs.
I open the car door which makes a long grinding noise, and sit on the passenger seat so the wheel won't bother me. The car doors don't close very well anymore and the windows are broken, but it doesn't matter. As long as I can listen to music...

I press the button ON/OFF. The radio makes a weird noise and immediatly turns off. What the... I turn it on again and the same thing happens. I'm getting angry and curse. I'm a person who easily lose her temper. And this, is the kind of thing that gets on my nerves. I start hitting the radio to make it work and call it every name under the sun.

"Hey! Something's wrong?"

I jump and quickly turn around, my heart racing. It's Ross, leaning on his elbow on the car door, looking at me by the window.

"God you scared me so much! You could have told me you were coming!"

"That's why I said Hey! Something's wrong?" He frowns.

"How did you find me?"

"Well, you curse so loud that we can hear you in the house." He smiles like an idiot.

"Haha. Very funny Lynch."

Ross goes around the car and sits in front of the wheel.

"So... What this car did to you to insult it like this?"

"It's not the car it's the radio, it won't work... And yet it was working two days ago."

Ross cogitates a bit, steered his hand toward the radio and pulls it out of its place with all his strength.

"What are you doing?!" I half shout, shocked.

"Ooh, trust me a bit. For once." He sighs and keeps on fiddling with the radio.