Chapter 30 - In the Ashes - Part II

Start from the beginning

“That explains Flow and Lina,” Reyna said with understanding.

“I am glad you are following along. Is there anything else I may enlighten you with?” The king leaned back on his chair as if giving her room to think.

Reyna immediately knew what she wanted to ask. “But then what about Mundus? What is he in the demon hierarchy? What are, if you don’t mind me asking, you and Blethinette?”

“We,” Auronmar slowly spoke unsurprised at her questions, “are Dark Blood Demons. We are above all for our blood is from the planet itself. Only the royal family is given such powers through a ceremony. We are omnipotent and have full access to all Magika.

“That is how Mundus and I were able to heal you. Granted his powers are not up to par since he is still settling into his body. Such is why he brought you here. He did not want to risk losing you if he tried healing you in his weakened state.”

Reyna froze, finding a way to do so even in her still state. “He–”

“Reyna,” Auronmar leaned to her and placed a hand on hers. His warmth was felt. “Please do not lose your trust in Mundus.”

She stared at him the best she could from her awkward position. I don’t know if I can do that, she wanted to say.

A swirling tornado of fire filled the room, sucking out all oxygen. Though Reyna felt its intensity, Auronmar showed no signs of discomfort. He merely turned to the approaching source.

“Father,” Mundus’ voice was heard. “What is the status of Reyna’s well being? I have sensed her awakening.”

Auronmar stood from his seat and waved his hand towards her, mentioning for his son to see. As he approached, his huge Magika essence crushed Reyna all the more. When he finally stood next to the bed, the oppressing force all at once disappeared as Reyna’s body adjusted to the discomfort. They locked sights.

Mundus’ eyes waved with relief but soon fell back into their usual hardened yet sly state. Reyna’s own answered with a deep mixture of sadness, bitterness, hesitance, but most of all betrayal. The sight of them stung him. It was an odd feeling. He almost did not recognize it. It floated in his chest and bubbled in his heart as if a wave from Reyna’s own sorrows had infiltrated his body.

“Reyna,” Mundus whispered to her as he continued to gaze onto her.

She remained silent. She had seen the rush of relief that visited Mundus’ eyes, but she did not know what to think of it. He had placed her life in danger so he could simply obtain his own body. Lied to her about multiple things. No, she did not know this demon anymore. Perhaps she had not known him at all. What added to the aching confusion the most was how all of that did nothing to change her emotions towards him.

“Do you feel well?” Mundus asked her, eager for a response from her.

Reyna simply nodded, not ready to give him that.

He smiled nonetheless. “Full movement. You are quite well now.”

“Yes,” Auronmar, standing next to Mundus, spoke. “You are fully healed. Can you sit up?”

Reyna did with great simplicity. The pain in her back was gone. It felt as if she had just woken up from a much needed nap. Reyna smiled, brightened by a sudden realization. “Can I go home now?”

~*~*~

Flow’s ears twitched. He opened his eyes and lifted his head, golden sight scanning the horizon. Erian and Cerus quickly quieted down from their current conversation and waited for the approaching duo to arrive. Finally after numerous minutes of silently waiting, Reyna and Mundus showed up.