Part the Fourth, wherein Charlotte goes to church and is discomfited

Normally, Charlotte enjoyed church. But her prayers that particular Sunday were not as focused, or as thoughtful, as they usually were. The cause of her difficulties began during the recitation of the Creed. Based on the loud conversation which erupted at the back of the church, someone had arrived late and pushed his way into an already-crowded pew. Charlotte was annoyed that someone would come in so late, after the Gospel reading. She was more annoyed when she turned around and saw the person who had come in – her husband.

Charlotte turned bright red, and the topic of her prayers immediately became a heartfelt plea that the pew might somehow open up and swallow her. She imagined the smooth wood surface splitting to reveal a quiet, dark, and completely private place into which she might fall to avoid the embarrassment.

As soon as the congregation had been dismissed, Charlotte walked as quickly as she could manage – perhaps a little too quickly, in truth, for perfect decorum – to the back of the church and out the door. She did not look at James. Indeed, she was so discomfited she did not look anyone in the eye. At the church door, however, she stopped abruptly.

When she had walked into the building more than an hour ago, the morning had been beautifully sunny; but now it was raining. The road had turned into a river of mud, and the rain was still pouring. Before Charlotte could nerve herself to allow her new bonnet to get wet, James was at her side, umbrella in hand. She was surprised to see him dressed in something other than his uniform. Indeed, the hat he placed onto his head before opening his umbrella was quite modish. She allowed him to walk her down the church steps.

“So,” he said conversationally, “Are you surprised that I have returned so soon?”

Charlotte did not reply. Her cheeks were still burning.

“I have never been gone for only two months before, Charlotte.”

Charlotte looked down at the ground. She could hear Fanny and Emma behind her, on the church steps. The twins were pointing Charlotte and James out to little Catherine, who had been disappointed not to see Captain Arden the last time he had been at home.

Arden tried again.

“My dearest Charlotte; I am home because I need to speak to you. In person. About an important matter – I got your letter. It was quite a surprise,” he continued conversationally, “and extremely amusing. Do I really flurry you so?”

“You do, James,” she scowled momentarily, her blush reappearing. Her heart felt heavy when she thought about the cutting letter she had written.

“I do not mean to frustrate and embarrass you, my dear. In fact, I am impressed by you.”

“Impressed?” Charlotte turned her face to him, feeling doubtful but looking pleased.

“I told my first lieutenant that you would be able to solve his childish cypher. And you very nearly solved every word, even with such a short text.”

James was carrying a leather purse, and Charlotte watched curiously as he opened it and pulled out a carefully folded sheet of paper. He unfolded it, and read:

“Dearest Charlotte; If you can read this, you are the cleverest of women. You are more clever than you are beautiful.”

He turned to Charlotte in time to see her blush again.

“I dare say that if you had spent a little more time on it, instead of deciding to write me an angry letter, you might have solved the whole thing. You know I think you beautiful, so that sentence should have been easy enough. I still cannot believe you gave my gift to your mother, though!”

Charlotte sighed. “I do not understand why you would send me such a thing under cipher and hidden, James. I was afraid it might be something important!”

“But it was! My first lieutenant claimed his system was unbreakable. I told him it was no such thing. I am glad you have proved me right; I have won a guinea.”

“How pleasant for you,” Charlotte grumpily replied.

“Oh, do not be grim, Charlotte. You have saved me a blunder – the admiral was considering using that cypher. I am sure the French would have no more trouble breaking it than you did.” He dipped a hand into the leather purse and held up a gold coin. “It’s only fair that you have the guinea to yourself; you have earned it.”

Charlotte took the coin. Still, it was not the guinea she valued; it was the fact that she had finally earned Arden’s praise. “Thank you, James. That is a kind gift.”

“Ah, but that is not the only gift I have brought you.”

“Oh?” Charlotte asked.

James Arden grinned. “I have brought myself. I am able to stay home for three weeks – are you not pleased, Charlotte?”

Charlotte could not help herself. She giggled at his smile, and said, “Oh, of course I am pleased. Why, just yesterday, I baked some Madeira cake –“

“I believe I could eat four of your Madeira cakes,” James interrupted.

He took Charlotte’s hand and placed it in the crook of his arm. She laughed again, and the two of them walked off, not minding the wind and the rain.

                                                                               The End