teh last dragonlord

Good day, My lovely readers!

Just wanted to say in advance - Happy Father's day! Because I'll probably not be updating until late sunday, or monday.

Morning:

Merlynn scrutinized her father from the mouth of his cave, sitting cross-legged on one of the overly large rocks. She had faith that Balinor could cure Arthur, and he had reassured that he would heal just find, so she let him rest. Balinor stood like a statue; eyes half-open as he gazed at the running water and outlining trees, listening to birds singing like a harmonised sonata.

Everything was beautiful where he resided. If only he had stayed with Hunith when he had the chance, she could have lived here; they could have been a stable family.

The scenic, peaceful atmosphere was broken by Arthur, who stepped out of the cave with a bright, luminescent smile on his face. "I feel great!" he announced, voice oddly high-pitched. "What the hell did you give me?" Arthur took a seat next to her, kissing her head.

She shrugged, nodding her head toward her father. "It was all down to Balinor," she responded.

"So we found him, then?" he sighed. "Thank heaven for that."

"That doesn't mean he's willing to help," she pointed out.

Arthur frowned. "What?"

"You won't persuade him," Merlynn scoffed.

He turned his attention to the young, dark-headed girl and furrowed his brow in confusion. "Does he know what's at stake?" he barked. She nodded, and he turned to Arthur. "What kind of man is he?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I thought he'd be something more."

Minutes later, Arthur returned from conversing with Balinor, hands on his hips as he took a glance at Merlynn. She gave him a hopeful look. "What did he say?"

He brought his attention back to the dragonlord. "He'll change his mind."

"Are you sure he said that in those exact words?" she asked. "He doesn't seem like the type…"

"Just..." he paused, "give him a moment."

Balinor walked up to them, and for a moment everything was silent between the three. He nodded toward Merlynn. "Farewell, then."

As he walked passed Arthur, the prince turned to face him in astonishment. "That's your decision?"

"I will not help Uther," he explained.

"Then the people of Camelot are damned."

Balinor shrugged reluctantly. "So be it."

"Have you no conscience?" Arthur snapped.

"You should ask that question of your father!" he growled.

Merlynn whirled around on the rock to glare at Balinor. "And you are no better than him!" she spat. Arthur stormed off. She stood on the rock she had been sitting on, clenching her fists into tight, white balls. "Gaius spoke of the nobility of dragonlords! Clearly he was wrong!"

Balinor froze and turned, eyes set upon Merlynn. He looked surprised at the use of his old friend's name. "Gaius?" he echoed.

"Yes."

He nodded slightly. "A good man."

"Yeah," she agreed. "I was hoping you'd be like him." A good father like him, she added in her mind, rubbing at her eyes.

"Merlynn!" Arthur called from the distance.

Merlynn stepped toward him. "I wanted to..." she began.