The Dragon's Call

This is actually a fanfiction by : khaaliseStormborn

You can find the original on http://m.fanfiction.net/s/7071703/1/The-Golden-Effect#d_menu

I only did this so I could read it on my phone :/

This is all theirs :)

(Kinda changing Will and Merlynn's relationship, too)

CHAPTER 1 - THE DRAGON'S CALL.

No young woman, no matter how great, can know her destiny. She cannot glimpse her part of the the great story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, she must live and learn. And so it would be that the girl, a young witch, will arrive at the gates of Camelot. A girl that, in time, will bear a legend and rule beside a great king.

Her name, Merlynn.

It started with little things. Hunith didn't realize at first that it was her daughter; of course, why would she assume it was her in the first place? Odd objects began to float, things would suddenly appear out of nowhere, and there was no logical way to explain it. But then, she noticed her daughter's eyes glow gold and it all changed. Hunith wasn't sure if Merlynn's father's genes would pass on to her, and she had hoped that it didn't. Of course, she never neglected her child because of it. In fact, it seemed to bring the two of them closer. Flowers seemed to blossom in her presence whenever they travelled into the forest to collect fruit, and nature just seemed to be so attracted to Merlynn's presence.

How could she hate her daughter for being a witch? It wasn't something she could control, and it certainly wasn't bad magic. Merlynn didn't even know how to properly use incantations to develop her magic. Which was why Hunith was sending her to Gaius, her old friend in Camelot. He was a former practitioner in magic; she had no one else to turn to. Merlynn was stronger, Hunith knew, so much stronger than she appeared, and she feared that she would lose control of her power or turn dark because of it. She didn't want her daughter to leave - she was her family - but she cared more for her well being than her own love for Merlynn.

Hunith could feel tears sting her eyes as she watched her daughter pack her knapsack. Merlynn would thrive in Camelot; she had taught her enough, the behaviours of the court, how to speak to them (she was, once, a rather respected court member in Camelot) and the ways of the city. She smiled sadly, and croaked, "Do you have everything?"

Stop worrying, will you? It'll only take a couple of days to get to Camelot."

She sighed and placed the scroll addressed to the physician in her hand, curling her fist around it. "Now, take this to the court physician, Gaius. He'll give you a place to stay and take care of you in Camelot," she instructed with a watery smile. Tears were already filling her eyes, a few stray ones trickling down her cheek but she did not make a motion to get rid of them; she was too busy kissing Merlynn's cheeks and forehead, over and over.

Merlynn let out a little grunt and lightly pushed her away. She was smiling - her smile was lovely, so bright and exuberant. Hunith would miss it. "Okay. Gaius, the court's physician - go find him. Got it," she repeated but, as her mother wiped away her tears, she bit her lip and drew her mother close. "Stop worrying. I can protect myself if need be, remember? I love you." She kissed her cheek.

"I love you, Merlynn," she squeezed her eyes shut and relished in the last few moments she would have with her daughter before she would leave. "I'll miss you so much."

"As will I."

"Oh! And don't forget that no one but Gaius must know about your magic, all right? And don't tell him straight away because you might give him a heart-attack," Hunith told her, smiling fondly.