“Oh, honey look they know you!” my mother said, nudging me in the guy with the camera’s direction.

“Great,” I replied, sounding as enthusiastic as a dead racoon.

It surprised me that the topic of the kiss hadn’t been brought up yet and I was silently hoping that it wouldn’t come up in conversation during dinner. How awkward would it be discussing a steamy kiss you just had in front of thousands of people? Very.

To my dismay, as soon as we sat down, my mother turned to me with a sparkle in her eyes.

“So, tell me,” she said giddily. “Who was that guy?”

My dad on the other hand, pretended to be very interested in the menu, and acted like he didn’t hear anything.

Feigning naïve-ness, I glanced over to the guy who was taking a picture of me. “Him? I don’t really know mom…probably some fashion lover who saw me in Us Weekly or maybe…”

She rolled her eyes. “Not him! That guy you kissed at the show!”

“Oh, him. He’s my…uh…boss?” I said with uncertainty. Wait for it…wait for it…

“Your boss?!” my mother said in disbelief. “Jessica…”

“Mom, I know okay,” I said. “It was all planned out.”

She gave me an appraising look. “Really now…”

I nodded solemnly. “Really.”

“Okay…if you say so,” she began.

“Now Olive,” my dad said. “Even if it wasn’t planned, Jessica has the liberty to kiss whoever she wants.”

My mother nodded but still looked uncertain. A few seconds later, dad started talking about a funny thing that happened at work. I sank a few inches into my seat, wishing that they would drop the subject. Thankfully, they did. Neither the fashion show, nor the kiss was brought up in the conversation again.

*

I showed up for work at 8:30 exactly the next morning. From the parking lot to the elevator, I tried my best to ignore the stares at the whispers of everyone. Bill gave me a knowing smile when I passed by that ended in a small smirk after I promptly told him: “Oh, shut up Bill.”

I was glad when I stepped into the elevator and found that it was empty – totally not in the mood to handle anymore staring or worse…someone trying to talk to me.

I think everyone else who was on the elevator after me got the message because nobody said a word, or cast the smallest glance. Good thing too, or else I would’ve clawed someone’s eye out.

I have calmed a bit down when the elevator stopped on my floor. Just a bit, because as soon as I stepped out, someone shouted my name.

“Really! I am not in the mood for discussing any of the events that happened last night, so just bug off, will you?” I snapped, to whoever called my name, and to everyone else in the office just so they know.

Stacy stood in front of me, looking mildly amused. “Calm yourself, Jessica.”

I rolled my eyes and pushed past her.

“Sooo…” she said casually when I set my stuff down on my desk.

“So what?”

Her casualness lasted about 3 seconds before she burst out in excitement. “Tell me everything! I can’t believe you left me in the dark about this…really Jessica…and to think that I was your best friend.”