Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Humming to myself quietly, I stepped out of the elevator and made my way to my cubicle. As I walked, I felt my heartbeat speed up. No, I told myself sternly. There's nothing to be nervous about.

Last night, when I was lying in bed and couldn't fall asleep, I decided that I was going to just cut Jake out of my life. Of course, professionally speaking, I'd still be his receptionist, but other than that, nothing. I didn't want a repeat of what happened in his office yesterday.

With a tray of coffee (2 sugars, 1 cream for me and a double double for Jake) and a small baggy of cranberry muffins in one hand and the latest Glamour magazine in the other, I sat down in my comfy chair. Looking to my left, I saw through his big window that Jake was already inside his room.

I stood up and smoothed my skirt. Picking up his food, I walked to his door and opened it slightly, then kicking the rest open with my foot.

"I thought we had a deal," Jake hissed into his phone, not noticing me at all.

"No, this is not for real! We're just pretending so that - Oh, good morning Jessica," Jake said quickly when he saw me.

"Who were you talking to?" I asked curiously.

"Nobody," he replied and snapped his phone shut.

I nodded understandingly and walked over to put down his food.

Jake looked at the coffee then at me. "What's this?"

"Your breakfast, silly," I said playfully. My eyes widened when I realized what I was doing, and I switched my expression back to a blank one. Just remember to keep cool.

Jake laughed. "I know that, but why'd you get it?"

"For you to eat..." I answered. I didn't know how to finish what I was saying since I didn't even know what he was asking me.

Tilting his head to the side, he gave me a confused look. "I can get my own breakfast."

The amusement in his eyes was telling me that he thought I actually cared enough about him to get his breakfast.

"Ms. Whitby always made me get her food so I assumed that you would too," I replied dryly.

As I suspected, his face fell and I smiled.

"Did you think I got it just cause of you?" I teased.

Jake gave me a sheepish smile. "Well, I thought I was special."

"Oh, you're special alright," I laughed. As soon as I said that, I mentally slapped myself. What was I doing? Flirting with him? Oh God.

Before I could say anything else, the door burst open.

"Darling!" the woman said and rushed up to Jake to give him a kiss on the cheek.

I watched as Jake stiffened, then a small smile spread across his face.

"Good morning, sweet peach," he said cheerily.

The woman took off her sunglasses and gave me a look over. "Who's this?"

"That's uh, Jessica," Jake replied.

Putting her sunglasses on her head, the woman gaped at me. "Jessica? Jessica Bryans? Oh. My. God. It's me, Scarlet! You remember right?"

Of course this was Scarlet. I almost forgot Jake had married her.

"Hello Scarlet," I said in a strained voice.

"Oh sweetie, you've grown!" she cried, checking out my figure. "You're so tall now, but your uh, area," her hand moved around her undoubtedly fake chest, "needs some improvement."