Chapter 13-2

Part 2

“Jake I swear to you I am not wearing this,” I said stubbornly. An extremely large full-body rabbit costume was hanging off my fingers loosely. Frankly, I didn’t care if it fell to the floor and shattered to a million pieces.

“But it’s the last one,” Jake responded.

“Well we already did enough anyways,” I told him, pointing to the mess of clothing scattered across the floor.

Jake didn’t say anything. Instead, he clicked through the pictures on the camera.

I eyed him carefully. “I hope you’re deleting those.”

“I will if you put that on,” he chirped.

“You’re crazy. Fine, don’t delete them.” Tossing the rabbit costume to the floor, I walked over and sat on the back of the sofa.

“Oh, so you’re perfectly fine with this picture and this picture and this picture and this picture?” Jake said absentmindedly. He didn’t show me which pictures he was looking at, but judging by the expression on his face, he looked pretty darn pleased with himself.

I shot straight up and stomped over to him. “Give me that!”

The camera was in my grasp, then gone within a second. I looked up to see it hovering over my head and Jake smiling triumphantly at me. The strap was just a few millimetres out of my reach and I didn’t dare tippy-toe in fear that I might topple over.

“You’re really short you know and you’re wearing heels too,” Jake commented.

“I’m like5 feet5! That’s pretty average,” I scowled. My arms folded across my chest and I put on the best death-glare I could manage.

“You look like an ant from up here,” he laughs and brings the camera behind his back.

“That’s cause you’re a beast,” I grumbled and poked his chest hard, letting it rest there.

And suddenly, I realize that we’re standing close together and that I was touching him. Well, not really touching touching, but still, I didn’t want to remove my finger. I stared at the spot where the tip of my finger dented his shirt and gulped. After a few painful seconds, I cleared my throat and stepped back.

“So,” I said, as if nothing has happened. The confused look on Jake’s face told me that he didn’t suspect any of the internal battle I was having just a few moments earlier. “If I put on that hideous costume and you snap a few pictures, you’d delete the picture?”

Jake nodded solemnly. “You have my word.”

He could tell I was unconvinced.

“Oh, be reasonable Jessica. Who am I going to show those pictures to? Honestly,” he added.

I looked over him, head to toe and picked up the costume from the floor. “You better not be lying,” I threatened.

The only good thing – though I hate to admit there was anything good – about the suit was that it was big enough so I could slip it on without taking any of my clothes off. Reaching behind my back, I zipped the zipper as far as it would go and turned around in embarrassment to face Jake.

“You look…interesting,” Jake choked out, his voice strained from not laughing.

“Let’s just get this over with,” I mumbled.

I could tell that Jake was enjoying himself way too much. He made me get into various poses and gestures and took three times as many pictures as he did with the previous outfits. It was extremely embarrassing. Finally, Jake clicked the last picture.