Chapter 19

little note at the end! and happy reading :)

“Jessica, that was amazing,” Annabelle said to me when I walked backstage.

Just moments before, I had disentangled myself from Jake and he hoisted me back on the run way. Without stopping to answer any of the reporters’ questions, I made my way back down the run way. I amazed even myself when I managed to keep my composure.

“Really?” I said in a daze.

Annabelle nodded enthusiastically. “Absolutely. I had no idea you were planning that!”

Planned? That was anything but planned.

“So,” she continued. “Who thought of it? You or Mr. Marshall?”

“Uh…” It was hard to find an answer simply because there wasn’t an answer.

Thankfully, my named was called and I said goodbye to Annabelle.

“Oh, Jessica you were wonderful!” my mother said, rushing up to me, followed by my dad who was strolling proudly behind her.

“Mom? Dad?” I said in surprise. “I didn’t know you guys were here.”

My mother kissed me on both cheeks. “Sorry. We didn’t have enough time to tell you!”

“Oh,” I said.

My dad laughed and ruffled my hair. “How come you never told us you were going to be a model?”

My mother swatted his hand away. “Arthur, you’re ruining her hair! Oh, sweetie you were so beautiful.”

“Thanks mom,” I said, scanning the crowd. Over the sea of people, I saw Jake weaving in and out, looking for someone – me apparently; when we made eye contact, he smiled and waved and began heading in my direction.

“When you’re done getting all wrapped up and stuff, come meet us outside in parking lot 4A. Your father and I are going to take you out for a bite to eat at The Picklebarrel – your favourite,” my mother told me.

“Oh, mom I really don’t know…” I began.

Annabelle walked over and cut me off. “Jessica, not to be rude, you were amazing tonight, but you really gotta get going. We need to clean up everything and you’re kind of in the way.”

“Oh, let me just change and put my outfit back on the –”

“Oh honey there’s no need for that,” she said, cutting me off again. “You can keep that.”

“Well then it’s settled,” my dad laughed. “Let’s head out. Wouldn’t want to get into anyone’s way, now would we?”

Before I could say anything, my mother added, “You can change in the car, Jessica.”

There was really no other way I could wiggle myself out of that so I just nodded feebly and followed them.

When I reached the door, I turned back and saw Jake staring after me. I gave him a shrug, hoping that he’d recognize my parents and realize that I had to go with them, and stepped out into the night air.

A painfully long car ride, equipped with my dad telling me how proud he was of me and my mother gushing about the outfits (thankfully we all dodged subject of the kiss), we walked into The Picklebarrel. I had already changed into a nice black dress and red pumps.

“Reservation for Arthur Bryans,” my dad said to the waitress, who looked over the reservation book and led us to a small table.

I don’t know how they recognize me, but a few people did a double take as I walked by. One guy even whipped out his camera.