Chapter 16: The Aftermath

It took the doctors four hours to remove the bullet from my lungs, repair my lungs and get me breathing again. That was the scariest moment in my life. As I was undergoing surgery I saw my mom again. She made me feel at peace, that nothing in the world mattered. She told me everything was going to be alright, that God wasn't done with me yet. I hugged her one last time before it was time for me to wake up.

"Sir everything went great! Your daughter is stable and she should wake up any moment now. If you want to visit her now you can. I'm sure she wants to see your face."

Lance thanked the doctor then headed towards my room. Heaven was right behind him. They closed the door and patiently waited for me to return.

2 hours later

When I finally woke up the first person I saw was Lance. He was smiling so hard. I smiled back and tried to speak but couldn't. My throat was sore from the breathing tube. "Sshh don't try to speak. It's ok. Everyone is still here." I felt better and relaxed a little.

Heaven peeked her head from behind Lance and I automatically smiled. She lightly kissed me on the forehead and told me she was glad that i was awake. Even though I felt weak and still in a lot of pain, I was thankful to be alive. My family and friends were right by my side.

*********

After everything that happened I remembered I haven't spoken to the police yet. I was afraid they wouldn't find the girl and she would come back to finish me or my family off.

Doctors said that I had to recover for a day or two before the police could interview me. I wasn't in a rush anyway.

"Hey beautiful. How you feeling?" Alex asked me walking through the door. I smirked and told her never been better. She laughed and sat beside me. Her eyes went from happy to sad in a matter of two seconds. "What's wrong bro?" She lowered her head and tears began to fall. I wiped them away and placed my hand on hers.

"Lani isn't doing good bro. She somehow thinks this is her fault. If she was there to protect you it wouldn't of happened. She's been put on suicide watch."

I was speechless. I needed to see her right away. We weren't together anymore but I still loved her deeply. "Where is she now?" I asked concerned. Alex told me she was in a mental facility about ten minutes from the hospital. "I gotta see her. Maybe she will feel better." Alex nodded her head and promised she'd see what she could do.

Heaven came back in and sat with me while Lance went to a business meeting. "Shouldn't you be in school? I barely got out. She smirked and explained that her fourth period teacher is letting her leave early for the next two weeks. She understands that Lance still has to work and there is no one else to care for me. She didn't have to do much. All she did was sit and keep me company for a few hours until Lance came back.

"So how do feel knowing if everything works out you'll be able to go home in about two to three weeks?"

I wasn't sure. I honestly was afraid. I kept replaying that night over and over again. I would wake up in a sweat, heart racing. The nurses would rush in to comfort me. I missed my mom everyday now. Usually it was once a week I'd have a down day, but now it's multiple times a day. I couldn't help but think what she would say and do in this situation.

7:30pm

I was in and out of sleep when I heard a knock at the door. It was Alex and she had a big smile on her face. I knew she was up to something. "Hey" I whispered. She whispered hey back to be funny. "Look who I found" she said stepping to the side. Lani was standing there with tears going down her face. I smiled at her and motioned for her to come over. She sat on the side of my bed and stared. I suppose this was her way of soaking it all in. After about five minutes of silence she spoke.

"I love you Kam! I can't imagine my life without you. Will you be my girl again? No one compares to you. No one can make me smile like you do. No one makes my heart race or flutter at the sight of your pretty brown eyes and gorgeous smile."

She was so vulnerable and I loved it. I said yes and she kissed my cheek. We sat hand in hand for hours. It was at that moment that I knew this is where I wanted to be. I wasn't going anywhere and neither was she. I had the best friends in Heaven and Alex. I also had the best father figure a girl could ask for. God was shaping my life into something I wanted and needed.