Chapter 12~Old Friends

Comincia dall'inizio

"Do you know the problem with a disguise, Mr. Holmes." She asked. "No matter how hard you try it's always a self-portrait." Sherlock narrowed his eyes.

"You think I'm a vicar with a bleeding face?" He asked.

"I think you're damaged, delusional, and believe in a higher power. In your case, it's yourself." She remarked. She leaned forward.

"And somebody loves you." She slinked. "If I had to punch that face, I would avoid your nose and teeth too." Sherlock looked sideways at me, and I glanced at him for a brief second before looking away.

"Could you put something on? Anything, a napkin." John suggested.

"Why? Are you feeling exposed." Irene said.

"I don't think John knows he where to look." Sherlock replied.

"No, I think he knows exactly where." Irene said in amusement.

"Not sure about you." She said to Sherlock. I finished the final curve of the drawing, signing my name at the bottom. I handed the drawing to Irene reluctantly. She looked it over with a smile.

"I've always loved your artwork, Jax." She said. Sherlock stood up, handing her his coat. She shrugged it on, closing the buttons.

"Now, tell me, I need to know. How was it done?" She asked.

"How was what done?" John asked.

"The hiker with the based-in head." She explained. "How was he killed?"

"That's not why I'm here." Sherlock said.

"No, you're here for the photographs. But that's never gonna happen. And since we're here just chatting anyway..." She said.

"That story hasn't hit the news yet, how do you know about it?" John asked.

"I know one of the policemen. Well, I know what he likes." Irene replied.

"And you like policemen?" John asked.

"I like detective stories. And detectives." She said. "Brainy's the new sexy." She said, taking a quick glance at me.

"The position of the car relative to the hiker at the time of the backfire, that and the fact that the death blow was to the back of the head." Sherlock explained.

"Okay, so tell me, how was he murdered?" Irene asked.

"He wasn't." I said.

"You don't think it was murder?" She asked.

"I know it wasn't." Sherlock replied.

"How?" She asked.

"The same way I know that the victim was an excellent sportsman, recently returned from foreign travel and that the photographs I'm looking for are in this room." Sherlock said in his fast voice.

"Okay, but how?" Irene said rather nervously.

"So, they are in this room? Thank you." I said, throwing her a smirk.

"John, man the door, let no one in." Sherlock said. John nodded and left the room.

"Two men alone in the countryside, several yards apart and one car." Sherlock started to explain. "Jax, keep quiet I want to see if she can figure it out." I crossed my arms and zoned them out, which was incredibly easy despite the circumstances. The next thing my mind was registering was the loud and obnoxious beeping coming from the smoke detector. I watched Irene's face as she looked to me and then at the mirror hanging on the wall. Sherlock narrowed his eyes.