°Espen°

December 1st, 2014

Our police investigation led us no where. The tag ended up being fake and the vehicle turned up to be stolen. Whoever these people are, they prepared and planned for this. The police sent us home and told us to look for any more clues that could lead us to our kids.

"Hey Espen, do you have anything?" Iva asks.

"Nope. Not a single thing." I huff in annoyance.

"I did hear on the news that unknown gunshots were heard down south." She says.

"Where?"

"I don't know, Kentucky maybe." Interesting. Avery was from there.

"What are you thinking?" She asks.

"Avery is from Kentucky. Not sure where because her documents are very vague. All they mention is she is from there and her parents were killed years ago." Iva stares at me.

"Maybe that could help the police!" She says excitedly.

"How would that help? We don't know if the gunshots are even connected to them."

"I have a feeling there is some kind of connection. Mothers tuition!" She exclaims.

"Alright. I have a feeling something is up too." Avery may not be my biological daughter, but a family of love is more connected than a family of just blood.

"Let's go!" Iva practically runs out of the door.

"Slow down!"

~~~~~~~~~

"Avery is from Kentucky!" I exclaim.

"How does this help?" Detective Christopher asks.

"Well, on the news gunshots were heard in a reclusive part of Kentucky. And a few bodies were found in the river, all male. And Avery is from Kentucky." Iva says.

"Maybe some one was hunting and some times there are serial killers on the loose." Detective Darwin chimes in.

"No, I think they are on to something." Christopher says.

"At least someone has a brain here." I say under my breath.

"What was that?" Darwin asks.

"Nothing." I say.

"Okay let me look deeper into Avery's file and I'll get back to you on it." Christopher says.

"Alright." Iva says. We left and head home.

I sat on the porch thinking of Avery. She didn't know it yet, but the day I took her in was the best day my life.

~~~~~~~~~

One Year Ago...

"Mrs. Reynolds, how are you today?" The lady on the phone asks.

"I'm fine, who is this?" I ask.

"I'm Mrs. Wallace from social services. I see that you are a registered foster parent and I was wondering if you would like to take in a teen girl?"

"I guess so. This house is pretty empty."

"Great! I will bring her over this afternoon."

"Thanks." I hang up the phone and wait anxiously for the doorbell to ring. I clean the house to perfection and the doorbell rings.

"Coming!" I yell. I fix my shirt and hair as I open the door.

"Hello Ms. Reynolds, Mrs Wallace from the phone earlier. This is Avery Watson. She is sixteen years old."