»Tucker«

November 1st, 2014

The new place we are at smells like salt water and tanning lotion. Florida maybe? I don't know. The room is much bigger and a little nicer than before. And by nicer I mean the smell, the smell is way nicer. There's also a window that we can see the ocean from.

Something feels different about today. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about today that makes it special. I look over at Avery's sleeping figure and it hits me. Her eighteenth birthday is today. For some reason I knew that.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on let's go in the pool!" My friend Damon says. We decide to go to the aquatics center to swim, since it's too cold to swim outside.

"Do you hear that?" He asks. We hear a faint crowd of singing voices in one of the rooms down the hallway.

"Let's go see what it is?" We follow the voices and open a door. The lights are off and candles are lit. The only thing you could see is a little girl's smiling face. The crowd was in the middle of singing happy birthday to her. Once they stopped, she closed her eyes and made a wish. She then blew out the candles and everyone claps.

"Let's see if we can get cake!" Damon says. He walks in and I hear tiny sobs from the corner in the hallway. Being only thirteen at the time, I was a little curious. I follow the voice and see a girl in normal clothes crying.

"Are you okay?" She stops and looks at me. She wipes her eyes fast and gives me small smile.

"I'm fine."

"Why were you crying?"

"No one remembered my birthday."

"Is it today?" She nods.

"My foster family is celebrating their daughters birthday and told me I could tag along, but sadly I can't swim." I look at her and just stare.

"You can't swim?"

"Well I move a lot and that's just not in the cards for me." A door opens and a lady steps out.

"Avery! Let's go!" She yells.

"Okay. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude."

"It's okay." She walks away.

"Happy birthday!" I yell as she walks. She turns and gives me a huge grin. I will never forget that smile as long as I live.

~~~~~~~~

"Tucker?" Avery asks. I look at her.

"Yeah?"

"I've been talking to you for the past twenty minutes." She smiles and it's the same smile from the young girl I met all those years ago.

"Did you ever learn how to swim?" I ask. She stares at me.

"How did you-," she starts," that was you?" She stares at me with amazement.

"Are you that surprised?" She laughs.

"No, I'm more surprised that you remember that conversation." I pull her into a hug.

"Also, no I never learned to swim." She whispers.

"When we get out of here, I'll personally teach you how to swim." That sentence reminded us that we were here and not at home. Avery walks toward the window and looks at all the different directions.

"There isn't a fence, but there are bars around this window." She whispers quietly. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to hear it or not. I nod and walk up to her.

"What are you thinking." I whisper in her ear and she shudders. As if my words affected her in more ways than one.

"What?" She says.

"What are you thinking about all of this?" I wave my arms around the window. She blushes when she realized how simple the question actually was.

"I don't know. There's glass on the window, my guess is that it's bulletproof." She sighs.

"I'm never going home."

"We will go home, we will get out of here."

"No, you will get out of here. the whole town is probably searching for you. I bet they created a holiday like Veterans Day for me when I disappeared." She looks down at the ground and hurts herself with her own words.

"Is that what you really think?"

"Yeah."

"Avery, when you left, the town went into overdrive. No one could sleep to the fact that you were still gone. We had search parties set up every day and night looking for you. I was joining one of them on the day I was taken."

"Really?"

"Really really." I smile and she smiles.

"Why would you look for me?"

"Because you are a human being, and no matter who you are, you don't deserve any of this. I mean look at you! You are losing so much weight, I don't know if anyone will recognize you! You are becoming depressed and it's all because of them!" I kinda yell the last few sentences. She pulls me into a hug and squeezes tightly.

"Also, happy birthday." she smiles and looks up at me.

"Thank you. Even though you're a jerk ninety nine percent of the time, you're still an okay guy." She kisses my cheek and lays down on the bed. I lay beside her and kiss her forehead.

"You're not that bad either."

A/N:

Sorry for the long awaited update!

Good?

Bad?

Update will be sometime soon! No more school for me so I will have plenty of time to update all of my stories!!!

VOTE
COMMENT
FOLLOW