The Quarantine

The sound of foot steps echoes in the bathroom as I walk over to the bathtub. The room is dark, darker than a coffin. I try to look at my reflection but I can't make out a single shape.

I sent my hands reaching into the water in the tub gathering a cups full of it to wash my face, The stagnant water feels so refreshing.

This is the cleanest water available here, all other sources have been drained.

I showered my face with the water and then reached for the dirty towel to dry my face. This has become normal. To survive in here we must drink from the same water we shower in and worms are the only things that look good to eat, other than my fellow survivors, no wonder most of us are sick.

I have no idea how long it's been since I came here all I know is that it's been a lifetime. My parents my siblings, all died of the "plague". But so did all the others.

No one is allowed outside, and I have just had enough of this building. They say this is the safest place, yet more people die daily than any other time in history. I'm running away!

I'm taking my father's machete, my sister's bag, my brother's hiking boots, and the photo my mother kept of us then hightailing it out of here!