Chapter 27

Not to be interrupted in her considerations she went out, heading for the herb garden

Not to be interrupted in her considerations she went out, heading for the herb garden. Taking a walk-in solitude would have helped her reflect and clear her mind. She felt truly dazed, angry, and contrite.

First of all, she was, in fact, a 'Lady'. Of course, not one of the classic ones, but she belonged to an important lineage.

Second, and more importantly, she and William were destined to be together for some yet unknown but definitely predestined reason. Now, it was explained why she had kept dreaming of his face.

Third piece of information, as important as the second; she could not have romantic relationships with any man unless she decided to condemn him to an early death.

And herein lay the explanation for her aunt's lonely life.

A life to which she was also destined, she thought sadly.

Her mother and father had probably deliberately tempted fate, perhaps, in the hope that this curse William had told them about would not be fulfilled.

This meant that she would have to stay by William's side but avoid any romantic involvement.

How could she have done that?

By now it was too late for her. Of him she was already hopelessly infatuated. Realizing that William's unfriendly and rough attitudes had been due to what had happened with Lady Abell only increased, strengthened in her the feelings she had for him.

Cruel fate!

How was she going to handle the situation?

Perhaps she should have gone home, stayed away from him, and forget him if possible.

Aunt Elly, however, probably would not have allowed that.

She was certain of that, because otherwise she would not have deliberately sent her to Caerphilly.

The fourth thing had literally been a shock. Of everything she would have expected from that irritating, grumpy, rude man and..... What was the point of listing his faults? The attraction and infatuation she felt for him would not change. Never, ever could she have imagined that he would come to make such a proposal to her... so... so risky, against all logic. Or did he perhaps have a logic after all?

The herb garden that her aunt had created at the castle, years ago, and that Annie and her father had devotedly kept in good condition, now, was the best place for Megan to be in peace.

It had become a truly beautiful place where she could meditate and relax in peace. Sitting on her favorite bench, Megan tried to empty her mind, enjoy the colors, scents, silence and recharge her energy.

There were not only the healing and aromatic herbs. She and Annie had also created corners with plants and flowers such as: roses, primroses, daisies, bluebells, lavenders, and others. With the approval of Lady Eleanor and her husband, Megan had had two benches added where they could sit and relax; surrounded by alternating pleasant scents. All, done in the days of Kay and William's absence.