Chapter 12

After he had gone away with Kay, leaving his parents with Megan, William had headed to the stables to check that Parsy had carried out his orders correctly

  After he had gone away with Kay, leaving his parents with Megan, William had headed to the stables to check that Parsy had carried out his orders correctly. He had found everything well done and the boy was already getting acquainted with other servants.

That young man was quite capable. Perhaps if he continued in this way, he would make sure to take him on as his personal squire. He felt that this boy possessed the right qualities to become a good knight. Satisfied that he had found everything in order, he had decided it was time to have that talk he had promised himself with his father.

William had then headed straight for the south wing of the castle. He had crossed the inner courtyard, passed the central hall, and climbed the stairs of the south tower to the second floor, where there was a single room. In this room, his father the Count used to take refuge to think and administer all matters concerning his possessions. He had knocked and after a few seconds had heard his parent's voice ask:

<<Who is it?>>.

<<William, father>>.

<<Please come in>>.

William came out of there, only after being explained what had happened that morning. Lord Gilbert had told him that the cause of his strange behaviour was to be attributed to the extraordinary resemblance which Lady Ellyll's niece bore to her great-grandmother, namely the mother of Lord Robert Giffard III of Carreg Cennen. In fact, they all looked very much alike. It must have been a characteristic of their family, the Count explained.

William had been somewhat surprised.

<<I didn't know that you had met that mysterious woman from whom all the oddities of the women belonging to the Giffard family stem>>.

<<I've never met her in person, but there is a painting left that I saw when I was a boy. I have never forgotten that face of hers>>.

Lord Gilbert knew that his son was not yet ready to know the whole truth, and he had to mention the painting, it made him uncomfortable.

<<I was so amazed that I reacted that way>>.

<<Does that painting still exist?>>.

<<I think so>>.

William noticed that his father was strangely distressed.

<<Where is it now?>>

<<I don't know. I think it is hiding somewhere, but I can't remember now>>.

At the end of the conversation, William came out of the study disappointed, upset, with the distinct feeling that his father was lying to him.

Gilbert de Clare had made reference to this picture, but then, as if he regretted doing so, he had answered evasively to any questions regarding the topic.