Chapter 13

Megan now felt calmer about the people who lived in Caerphilly, apart from William's presence

Megan now felt calmer about the people who lived in Caerphilly, apart from William's presence. Kay and her aunt, at least on this subject, had told her the truth; everyone was kind and supportive as one big family. The way of thinking and acting was quite different from ordinary people.

Megan was pleasantly surprised by the mentality that was more like her and her aunt's. Women were more independent, respected. Children big or small were treated with love and care. There was some attention to order and cleanliness. Probably her aunt had had some influence on these things.

That morning on their arrival at Caerphilly, she had felt very nervous. She had feared people's reaction and wondered what they knew about her and how they would treat her.

They had arrived on a promontory from which the castle and all the de Clare properties could be seen in the distance. The land was fertile and well kept.

Caerphilly unleashed its full might. Its turreted walls stood boldly on a plain in the middle between the Mynydd Eglwysilian hills and the mountain of the same name. Surrounded by two lakes, a natural one formed by the Nant Y Gladyr river and an artificial one, it was built with stones from quarries in the area, in the region of Glamorgan.

Kay had explained to her that the first work was to dig ditches in the ground to create what would become the central island of the lake formed by the river Nant y Gledyr, on which the inner and central defences of the castle were then erected. A further moat was also dug to the east and west, creating two more small islands. On the one to the east, the main outer entrance gate was built, connected to the existing ones by a series of drawbridges.

Megan remembered that, as they were approaching the castle, she had noticed that they must have been spotted because, near the door, a crowd had already gathered and was waiting for them. All those people had followed them through the outer gate to the inner one. The courtyard had filled with a large number of tenants, servants, knights, footmen who were welcoming William and Kay with exclamations of joy. She was very impressed by the way the future Earl de Clare had responded to the greetings. He had not merely waved, but had stopped, calling them by name and inquiring about their families.

Because of the general commotion, they had noticed her presence later. In fact, it was only when William had dismounted from his steed and helped her do the same that people had fallen silent.

Was this the way her aunt was received many years ago when she had visited that castle? Megan vividly recalled how concern was drawn on William's tense face. He too had probably feared attitudes of his people dictated by superstition.

After giving Parsy directions to the chariot and horses, he had turned to the crowd to introduce her. Everyone had seemed wary, and some even intimidated by his presence.

<<This is Lady Megan Giffard>>.

William had spoken those words aloud, overcoming the excited murmuring that had been going on, so that they could all hear him.