Nanami's guardian Angel

Nanami felt her stomach churn as she was sent flying forwards in time. She landed on concrete this time looking up at yet another starry sky. She sat up and looked around. She was one a street, they were cars flying past on the road to her left and there were people walking past giving her strange looks. This looked like modern day. Where was she this time? This was much to far forward.

"Are you aright Lady Nanami?" Questioned Mizuki who Nanami only just realised was stood next to her.

"I'm fine." She said standing up. In truth her muscles were hurting a little. That was what happened when she used the time incense burner. It took a toll on her human body and often left her feeling tired. "Isn't this much to far forward?" She asked him.

"It seems to be. I remembered that Hikari explained that the infection started 20 years ago as she explained the Sunday after she resummed her Yokai form. I thought that it might give us a few clues but the time incense burner sent us back 12 years from our current time era."

"Can it even do that?"

"It can but it does not all that often. If it has sent us back here then it must be because something important happened on this particular night."

"Do you think it could possibly be the night Ryuu died?"

"It can't be. That would not have happened so recently." Nanami nodded her head and looked up at the sky. Why send them here? Then she heard the giggling of a small girl. She came out of the flower shop holding a bunch of pretty flower. She was all by herself. Her brown hair was tied back in two small bunches, she had large brown eyes and her face was round and podgy. Nanami's eyes widened in recognition.

"That's me...wh-what happened on this night that included Hikari?" She asked.

"Nanami you are so cute as as a little kid." Nanami glared at him and then pulled on his kimono.

"Come on we have to follow me." She said dragging her familiar down the street being careful not to be spotted by her younger self. Little Nanami skipped down the street without a care in the world and then three dark figures came out from the shadows and stopped her in her tracks.

"Where are you going cutie?" Said one of them. Little Nanami didn't seem to sense much danger.

"I'm taking these flowers to Mommy, she a very sick at the moment." One of the men bent down to little Nanami's eyes level and stroked her face creepily.

"Do you like candy little one?" He said. Little Nanami nodded.

"I love candy."

"Come with us and we will give you as much candy as you like."

"But I have to get home to Mommy." Said little Nanami.

"Don't worry about her. She will probably die anyway if she's really sick." Little Nanami's eyes teared up and she shook her head.

"No, don't say that. Mommy will get better, she will she promised."

"But promises mean nothing." Said the third.

"What if I promised to beat you to death? Would that mean something to you pigs?" Said the cold voice of a woman. The three men turned around and Nanami and Mizuki moved a little closer to get a better look. Nanami gasped seeing that it was Hikari. There was a scary and dangerous look in her eyes and they seemed to glow in the night. One of the men moved closer to her, clearly not scared of her.

"Ah, come on darlin' let's have some fun shall we?" He said lefting his hand up to stroke her face. Hikari moved and lightening speed grabbing his arm and twisting it in an akward way.

"I have a strange feeling that my idea of fun and yours are very different." She said as the man wailed in pain. The other two backed up not even trying to help there friend.

"P-please let me go." The man begged.

"Let you go? No, why would I do that? My fun isn't over until the three of you are dead." She said twisting his arm a little more. Then her eyes fell to the small five year old girl that was looking up at her. There was no fear in her eyes, it was more like admiration. Hikari's eyes softened and she looked back and forth from the man and the small girl. She couldn't kill him, she had been taught to value human life but still these people were disgusting. She let go of this arm and pushed him on to the floor in the process. "Fine I'll let you go for now but let's be clear that even I even think that the three of you are thinking about harming anybody, no matter who they are again I will hunt you down and I can promise you that next time you will not be so lucky." The man on the floor stood up, holding onto his arm that wasn't broken but clearly fractured and it hurt like hell. He was sweating from fear and he and the other two that were with him nodded and the three ran off into the night. Hikari sighed when they disappeared, she still did not have full control over herself. "Hey kid are you..." She was cut off as the small child threw her arms around her legs. Hikari froze not knowing what she was meant to do.

"Thank you big sister." Said the little girl. She pulled away and smiled up at the beautiful woman that saved her. Hikari felt her heart melt a little at the very cute little girl. She was so small and so fragile and yet she had such a large impact on her.

"What's your name, little one?" She asked bending down so she was at eye level with the girl.

"Nanami Momozono."

"Nanami...what a pretty name. I'm Hikari."

"Nice to meet you big sister Hikari." Hikari felt a small smile come on her face.

"Now listen closely Nanami, I will walk you home but you have to promise me that you won't go wondering around outside like this any more okay? There are many dangerous monster out there that will harm you."

"Okay I promise. Hey big sister are you my guardian Angel?"

"What's that?" Hikari asked not familiar with the term.

"A guardian Angel is a beautiful creature that comes down from heaven and protects people from evil things. Like you did just now." Hikari was silent for a while. She was always told she was a monster and now she was mean as an Angel by this child?

"I don't believe that someone like me could do such a job but thank you for the compliment."'

"Will you stay by my side and protect me always?" Asked little Nanami. Hikari's eyes widened, she did not know how to reply. Still she found her responding with words that didn't sound like her own.

"Of course I will. I'll protect you until the day you take your last breath." Little Nanami hugged Hikari and holding hands to two walked off into the dark night.

"Hikari..." Nanami said under her breath.

"It would seem like she never broke that promise." Said Mizuki. "She was always there protecting you, from the shadows. Come Nanami, I believe we can only make one final trip today and then we will have to return home."

"Okay..."