Stay with me

Hikari's eyes shot open, she was breathing hard and theres was a searing pain on the right side of her body. Over her she saw a familiar face, it was Tomoe. He was right in top of her looking at her with worry in his eyes. Hikari groaned slightly as the infection spread. Even in the dark Tomoe saw it move, it spread onto her right hand, covered the top in black vines. It then spread up from her neck onto the right side of her face. It spread along her neck and entered the left side before it finally stopped. Hikari closed her eyes and took deep breaths to calm herself down. She assured herself that she was fine now, the pain was over...for now.

"Tomoe...wh-what are you doing here?" She stuttered out as the pain slowly faded and opening her eyes to look at the man above her.

"You were groaning in pain in your sleep. I came to see if you were alright."

"Oh I'm fine."

"Why do you lie?" He asked her. He brought his left hand up from the side of her head and gently stroked the infection that had recently spread onto her face. The skin was hot which was not like Hikari. Her skin was always cold because she control ice and snow. She was an arctic fox, not used to the warm. "You are in so much pain Hikari. Why not just let go of you human form? Then you would not have to suffer with this pain any more."

"If I did that I would be nothing more than a blood thirsty yokai. I don't want to go back to that, I can't go back to that. If I did...Nanami...and you...I might end up killing you all." A single tear rolled down his cheek. Tomoe wiped it anyway gently.

"You...care for me?"

"Of course I do. I care for everybody at this shrine." It wasn't the answer the Tomoe wanted but it was something at least. He knew that Hikari did have a rather strong hatred against men, it was good to know that she didn't hate him.

"You shuld get some sleep Hikari. You will need it for tomorrow." He said getting up and turning to leave. He felt Hikari's un naturally warm hands grab hold of his. He turned back around to face her.

"Will you not stay by my side? I will not be able to get back to sleep otherwise." Tomoe didn't need to be asked twice. He nodded and laid down beside her. She laid back down too and rested her head in his chest, listening to his strong beating heart. Her right hand that now had black vines on it rested next to her face. Tomoe wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer. His right arm was wrapped around her shoulders and his left was on her hip.

"Are you alright now?" He asked her.

"I'm okay but I have been thinking that I need an excise to get out of going tomorrow. I cannot go out like this, Nanami will see...everyone will see."

"You should not worry about such thing. If you had been worried about should have come to me sooner. My transformation magic will be able to conceal your infection."

"Really? You would do that for me?"

"I would but you understand that the truth cannot be kept for Nanami for ever. She will have to find out eventually."

"I understand that. I am becoming more and more yokai by the day I can feel it. I say things that are evil...things the old me would say. Dark thoughts that seem to poison my mind...and the look on Nanami's face. She was terrified of me, I never want Nanami to be scared of me."

"When the day does come that you return to your yokai form I cannot say for Nanami will react but if you wish you can control it. The black outs you say you had back then."

"But how?"

"That is something that you have to work out for yourself. I understand that I myself used to be a monster before the day I became Mikage's familiar. The old me is still in there. I guess you saw that today but I just control it."

"I see, thanks Tomoe. By the way what were you so mad at Kurama today?" Tomoe didn't answer at first. He did not know the reason himself. Why did he get so mad? Tomoe heard heavy breathing and knew Hikari had fallen asleep.

"I guess it was because he said thatI could never be with you and that pained my heart more than I care to say." He said to her before falling asleep himself...