Mamorinogami

Hikari sat in the shrine of Mamorinogami the peach God. He was the one to make peach pills that could heal anything. Hikari had hoped that he would be able to help her with the problem which she has been having. His familiars took her into the room where she was met by a short, plump rosy cheeked God who was stuffing his face full off food.

"You never change do you Mamorinogami." Said Hikari with a small smile. They two had a little history together in the past. They didn't trust each other but they were on friendly terms.

"I could say the same for you. Take a seat." He said nodding towards a cushion in front of him. Hikari walked to the cushion and placed a bag in the middle of the two. "What is this?"

"A peace offering." Said Hikari as Mamorinogami's familiars brought her some sake. Mamorinogami grabbed the bag and looked inside. His face lit up as he took out some expensive looking buns.

"Alright then what is it that you desire?"

"Peach pills, I have a problem that needs to be solved."

"May I ask what kind of a problem we are facing here?" Hikari nodded and pulled up her sleeve to reveal strange black marking that travelled up her right arm. It looked like veins and they were swollen. "That looks bad. How long has this been going on?"

"It started 20 years ago. I had it under control but recently it has been getting too strong, I can no longer contain it."

"Perhaps it would have been wise to see me sooner, having said that coming for help has never been something that you would do, so why come for help only now?"

"There is someone that I want to protect. Someone I care about, I understand that this thing, whatever it may be is killing the human form that I am currently in. If that happens the monster that sleeps within will awaken and she will no longer be safe."

"I see. The spell which is placed upon you to give you a human form and conceal your monster form is weakening."

"I don't understand. The God that placed it on me said that would not happen as long as I do not use my black magic which I haven't." Mamorinogami took a bun out of the bag that Hikari brought with her. As he chewed it he looked deep in thought.

"Do you have memory of the God that placed the spell on you?"

"I do not. I only remember that he is male, I hear his voice sometimes when I am in need but I cannot remember his name nor his face."

"This just a theory but a spell like that will weaken if the God that gave it to you is not longer a God of a shrine. It will weaken over time until eventually your human form will die and you will become monster again. I'm afraid that even my peach pills will not be able to fix this, only the God that placed it on you himself but since as you do not know who he is that might prove difficult."

"Is there nothing I can do?"

"I'm afraid not."

"What about you? A God placed this on my could you not place the same spell on me again?"

"I do not know how. I am simply a peach God, I do not know of anyone that would know such an ancient spell. The infection on your arm will only grow and it will cause you pain. You can of course avoid that pain."

"How?"

"It is simple. Give up on the human form, stop holding on to the dying part of you."

"But then I will become nothing but a ravage monster again."

"That might be true but it might not. You see this human that you wish to protect from yourself, the love you feel for her might be enough to keep you sane or...more like the person you have become since taking on this human form."

"I have loved another before and that has not worked."

"Yes but a monster loving a human is different. Although considered taboo it does have a great effect on the monster. Being attached to something so much weaker than yourself might stop you from becoming the thing you tried so hard to hide."

"I understand. My love for Nanami might be the answer to my problems. Thank you for you help Mamorinogami." Hikari said standing up to leave.

"Hikari you must still be careful. I remember well what it was like before you were what you are today. You are very dangerous and if you are not careful the Gods will have to kill you this time."

"If I really do turn into what I was before...I would be more than grateful to them for ending my existence."