The awakening of a monster

Merissa wiped blood from her face. Her kimono was badly damaged and there was ice everywhere where Hikari has simply frozen every water attack Merissa had thrown her way. Nanami stayed shivering on the floor, not getting involved in a fight she knew she would be useless in. Without her white talismans she could do nothing, she was completely powerless. Hikari seemed to have everything under control though. She hadn't moved since the two stayed fighting and yet there was not a single scratch on her. It showed Nanami just how powerful Hikari was and it was clear that she was not someone you wanted to make angry.

"You haven't improved at all since we last fought Merissa." Said Hikari sounding bored. "With all that talk about killing me I would have thought you would be much stronger but sadly I was wrong."

"You foul monster..."

"Oh please, I've heard that so many times just save it for someone that actually cares." Said Hikari cutting her off. Merissa threw her hand out towards Hikari and shot balls of water at her. They got half way towards Hikari and they they froze mid air and crashes to the floor. The solid ice smashing into nothing but shavings. "You'll have to do better than that."

"I will kill you...for Ryuu."

"Right we'll of want to do that you're going to have to step up your game. Your slow and your moves are predictable. That way you are losing, Ryuu would be ashamed off your performance."

"Stop speaking as if you knew him."

"Them stop acting like you can beat me. This fight is pointless you will never win. You are weak and you have been but I'm bored of this game now. I think I will simply finish it here." Hikari lifted her right arm up and pointed the palm towards Merissa's chest. The fastest and easiest way to Jill someone with her powers. Freeze the heart whihc in turn freezes the blood flow in the veins leaving a person frozen on the inside but not out.

"Hikari no!" Shouted Nanami throwing herself forward and dragging Hikari's extended arm downwards. Hikari fired her finishing blow just as Nanami did this but instead of it netting it's mark instead the ice hit the floor near Merisaa's feet. The whole floor of the cave froze and became very slippery. Merissa smiled smugly at the fact that she was still alive. Hikari glared at her and lowered her arm.

"You got lucky this time but next time you pick a fight with me only one of us will be walking away and I can assure you that it will not be you."

"Then until we meet again...monster." Then like water evaporating on a hit summers day Merissa vanished in a misty vapour.

"Why would you stop me?" Hikari asked Nanami. When Nanami looked at her friend she wasn't comforted like she normally was instead she was terrified. Hikari's eyes were cold and distant and full of venom.

"Would you have really killed her?"

"Of course. Letting her live only causes problems for us further along the line. She will come back to attempt to kill us again."

"But all she wished to do was avenge the man she loved. She doesn't deserve to die because of that."

"She had intentions to kill us both, she deserved to die. It's not like we would be taking anything precious. She is yokai in the grand scheme of things our lives mean nothing. No one would notice if we were there or we were not."

"If you weren't here I would be sad. I would notice." Hikari looked at Nanami as if she had said something crazy but her eyes became a little warmer. She caught sight of her friends bleeding hand and took it in hers.

"This looks bad. We have to find Tomoe." She said. Nanami smiled, that was the Hikari she knew. The one that would panic over a small injury that Nanami had received. "And you are cold." Said Hikari with a pained expression.

"Well I wasn't expecting such cold weather in a cave."

"I am sorry...I cannot keep you warm. I can only make things colder."

"You don't have to apologise for that. At least now you won't be in pain right?"

"Right, my human form is gone now." Hikair said looking at her tail. "And I am a monster as I was before. If you hadn't have stopped me I really would have killed her and what's worse I would not have thought anything of it...you were scared of me just now weren't you?"

"A little."

"I don't want you of all people to be scared of me..."