Chapter Twenty Four : Arranged Marriage

"We shall be visiting the Kashi Vishwanath Temple tomorrow to seek our blessings."

He got up from the sofa, having slid the ring through her hand swiftly.

He didn't even wait for any response or retaliation from anyone's side. He knew no one could oppose him.

His mother came forward and offered a bouquet of flowers to Kalyani. "Congratulations, you're now the bride and the pride of the Chauhan family. Welcome!" She took her into a forceful hug.

But Kalyani showed no emotions. Her mother was too flabbergasted to say anything, and she stood frozen, next to her daughter.

"We are sorry for whatever you have gone through. But don't worry, I have always considered you my daughter, and from now on, you're a part of our family. Your future won't perish. We will protect you…"

Kalyani raised her hand, dismissing his words.

"I don't need your protection when your own son is a devil."

She walked towards her room and shut the door behind her.

✧ · · · ────── ·𖥸· ────── · · · ✧

"Kalyani, I know everything was so hurried and rushed."

She was sitting on the bed, with her knees folded, looking outside through the window. She was completely zoned out.

"But my parents have spoken to your mother, and everything is settled. We are going to get married soon, preferably in the beginning of the new year."

He came and sat on the edge of the bed. He tried to touch her cold hand. She jerked when she felt the warmth of his palm on the dorsum of her hand.

"I am not here to disturb you. I am here to let you know what you need to know." He moved his hand back when he saw how uncomfortable she felt.

"I know you want to pursue your career further. No one is going to stop you. But a lot has changed since we last met." She was not saying anything, and neither did he intend her to. He kept continuing to speak, without waiting for her response.

"I dropped my plans of doing UPSC. In these three years, I have become a completely different person." He sounded so monotonous at this point.

"And now, I can't wait to get married to you. I only envision our beautiful life ahead, together."

He got up to leave and shut the door quietly behind him. "Please don't remove the ring."

"Please ", he repeated.

✧ · · · ────── ·𖥸· ────── · · · ✧

Kalyani was standing on the terrace of her building, looking around at the plants in the terrace garden.

"I came to return this to you. I assume this belongs to you." She turned around to face Rudra.

"How do you know about this diary?" She snapped at once. 

He was very aware of his idea, and he knew exactly what to do to get her to speak to him once again.

She took the diary from him, and went through the pages inside. She was expecting him to tear off the pages where she had written the letter to Avinash.

He never got a chance to read this even! Oh no, how tragic!

"Were you, by any chance, involved in this? Did you have to do something with all this?"

A vein on his forehead popped, as soon as he heard her words. It felt like shards of glass had pierced his chest.

"Why do I feel as if", she paused to take a breath, "as if, it was your doing."

He balled his fists, but kept everything in his power from punching. He turned and walked away.

"I know you fairly enough and I know what you can do to get what you want." She spoke behind him.

Yes, he won, but at what cost!

✧ · · · ────── ·𖥸· ────── · · · ✧

Aum Namah Parvati Patiye
 Har Har Mahadev!