Chapter Nine : It's A Date

He took a glance at his watch; there was still time.

He went inside the temple premises.

The Durga Mata Temple was beautiful and built from red bricks. A very revered temple, it was located on top of a lake. Thousands of devotees would flock to the temple, especially during the Navratris. And it was the main day today; it was Ashtami.

The clear skies that could be seen above head.

But it won't be clear for too long; it soon started to get cloudy.

He went towards the idol of the deity and bowed his head in reverence. He then took out the folded letter from his pocket and put it through the slit in the donation box.

Oof. Men in love.

He came back outside near the gate of the temple. He looked at his watch again.

She is late, and makes me wait. Well I have waited for her for so many years, then maybe a few minutes more won't do any harm.

As he wondered where she could be, he saw her crossing the road and coming towards him. She was holding a basket of flowers in her hand.

And she also held a chunni, a cloth offering.

She came towards him and gave that chunni to him.

"I owed you this." She said as she stretched out her hand.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" He giggled as he took it from her hand.

"You can offer it to the Goddess. It's Ashtami." She suggested.

"Oh, yes." He nodded.

He took a step forward and covered her head with the chunni.

"Right now, you look so divine. You're my Goddess."

Men in love.

She stared at him, embarrassed and blushing. Her cheeks turned a rosy hue.

"Huh?" That was all she could mutter.

"Wait. Why is your forehead and hair wet?" He scrunched his eyebrows as he looked at her for an answer.

"Did you go somewhere else before coming here? That's why you were late, I get it." He exclaimed, raising his hands, almost as if accusing her.

"Let me guess, was it the Mani Temple? Because it is the only temple to house a huggable Shivling. And you must have hugged Him."

Her cheeks flushed at getting caught. She looked down at her feet, avoiding eye contact. She didn't want to address her personal affairs and spiritual beliefs, so she chose to remain silent.

She was stunned at his quick wit.

Does he have some camera installed around to spy on me all the time? How does he get to know everything?

"Let's see the Ganga Aarti today. We had missed it the other day." She quickly changed the topic.

"I thought you would take us to a cafe where we can speak privately."

"But Banaras is famous for its Galiyan, and Gaaliyan."

She held his forearm and dragged him inside the temple.

Good that he had placed the chunni on her head; she had forgotten to bring a dupatta to cover herself.