Chapter Five : Night Terrors

She pulled him closer to evade the attack, and they both fell down on the ground.

She stumbled on the ground, and he fell on top of her. She closed her eyes, scared of the impact.

She felt a pair of hands underneath her back.

He was holding onto her, preventing her from hurting herself beneath their weight.

"I am sorry… it was him…" She tried to explain.

The necklace around his neck got stuck in her earrings. It was a Rudraksha beads Mala, quite similar to the Rudraksha bracelet she wore on her wrist. Both were the Panchamukhi variety of Rudraksha.

She noticed the beads and kept staring at them. This made him conscious, and he stood up, helping her get on her feet as well.

As soon as he turned around, he saw a lousy looking man, swinging a small Khukri knife in his hand. He was ready to pierce his skin anytime with his blows, and hunger for blood reflected in his eyes.

Twameva Mata Cha Pita Twameva,
Twameva Bandhu Cha Sakha Twameva,
Twameva Vidya Dravinam Twameva,
Twameva Sarvam Mam Dev Deva.

The chanting of hymns reverberated in the atmosphere. It was already the evening hour and the skies were getting darker.

"Oh, the Ganga Aarti has started. My friends must be looking for me. I should head towards them." He looked tensed. A fold of worry emerged on his forehead.

He took a deep breath and cracked his knuckles. He swelled his chest and rolled his shoulders back. He stood before her, trying to guard her from any unpreceding danger.

"But not before I finish off this scoundrel. He started it but I will end it."

The man came running towards him with full force. But he caught the arm of the man and twisted it, right in time.

"Great reflexes." She giggled and cheered him up, standing a little afar from the fight scene.

"Thank you, Mary Jane." He chuckled and teased her, citing the cinematic reference.

Om Jai Gange Mata, Maaia Jai Gange Mata,
Jo Nar Tumko Dhyata, Jo Nar Tumko Dhyata,
Man Vanchhit Phal Pata,
Om Jai Gange Mata.

The hymns kept playing like background music. It almost seemed like a dramatic scene shot for a movie.

He turned the man around and kicked him, throwing him on the ground.

"You can fight…?" Her eyes widened and he could see his own face reflected in her crystal clear pupils.

"Ofcourse, I can." He felt proud of his skills. Nothing is more important to a man than a woman boosting his ego.

"You are so good! I could watch you all the time." She clapped her hands like a child who is enthusiastically watching a wrestling match on the television.

"Thank you, I don't get appreciated enough."

He blushed and looked down.

"You don't need it. External validation is absolutely unnecessary." She smiled and affirmed.

She came closer towards him, with small and careful steps.

He felt so heroic and manly, having protected the woman he admired.

He came close, reducing the distance between them. They were hardly an inch away and she could feel his heavy breathing on her face. He was taller than her, and she had to lift her head to look at him.