Chapter Thirteen : The Festival Of Lights

"Maa, should I wear the pink one or the yellow one?"

She held up both the sarees for her mother to check.

They were intricate, traditional Banarasi sarees, a woven legacy of Banaras.

"I think the pink one will suit you. It will appear vibrant during the evening. You can wear the yellow one during the Puja rituals at daytime tomorrow."

It was the day of Deva Deepawali, the day when the Gods themselves descend on the earth to celebrate the Festival Of Lights. It was a five day long festival and celebrated on the full moon of Poornima. The festival was the conclusion day of the fifteen day long Ganga Mahotsav, a tourist attraction known for it's traditional display of culture and heritage.

This was the day when Lord Shiva destroyed Tripura, the city of Tripurasura. He was known as Tripurantaka, and this day was commemorated as Tripurotsav or Tripura Purnima.

Maina and Kalyani had planned to participate in the lighting of lamps and Diyas near the Ganga Ghats during the evening.

Her college was closed for Diwali vacations. And since Deva Deepawali was during the Kartik months, they got a long, extended vacation for about a month.

There was no impending drama for a long time.

Everything seemed silent, and she hadn't even heard or met Rudra for many days.

Her phone rang and she went back to receive the call. It was Jhanvi.

"Hello! Long time no see! I hope you're coming to the festival this evening. Can't wait to meet you!" She seemed hyper excited on the phone. They hadn't met in many days since their college was closed.

"Oh, what are you wearing? I chose a Banarasi." Kalyani asked, placing the sarees back in her wardrobe.

"Is it your mother's saree?" Jhanvi had not decided on her outfit yet.

Outfits and dressing up are always the most exciting topics of discussion among women.

"No, actually I bought them only for today's occasion. I have never worn a saree before except for my school farewell. I don't have much expertise or experience here."

"I think I will wear an ethnic skirt with a blouson." Jhanvi had kept the phone on speaker, and she could hear the rumbling of clothes that she was fidgeting with.

"I will give you a call after reaching the Ghats. Meet me there. My mother and I shall be attending."

She hung the call and got back to making arrangements.

She had to clean her house; the ritualistic autumn cleaning. She also had to sort out her closet. And ofcourse, decorate the house too.

She knew it would take her an hour to get ready for the evening. She had to look for her accessories, earrings and other things to match her saree.

So she got up and hastened her pace.