Chapter 6

Cold winds chilled the mountain air. Gray clouds wafted through the sky and covered the sun. White snow stretched as far as the eye could see, with only a few dark clusters of trees scattered along the plains or under the overhanging cliffs. The Bounty climbed higher up the mountain, causing ice to form on its decks. Wildlife fled from their hiding places as they heard the sound of the ship.

Wrapping around the mountain, a stone path led to a clump of darkness nestled into the cliffside. As the Bounty flew closer, the ninja on the deck were able to make out a town.

Lost Rock.

Lloyd's golden hair blew in the wind as he stood at the Bounty's railing. He stared down at the old town, drawing in a deep breath. It had been years since he came to Lost Rock, met Chelsea in the pub, and learned of her heritage.

His eyes traveled higher up the mountain. Somewhere past Lost Rock was the little village he had left Laurie in. The memory of leaving his daughter pained him once again. Still, he wondered how he had had the guts to give her away back then. Had he been a horrible parent to leave her?

He definitely felt like one.

He shook the thought away as the team gathered around him.

"So what's the plan?" Kai asked him.

Digging through a box he had taken from the lower deck, Lloyd pulled out a black cloak and wrapped it around his shoulders. "I'm going to go in and find Chelsea," he told them. "You guys stay here and wait for us to meet you on the Bounty."

"Wait," Jay blurted in confusion. "You're planning to go in there alone?"

Lloyd stared at him. "Of course."

Kai laughed as if it was a joke. "No way," he said. "We're coming with you."

The others nodded in agreement and Lloyd's eyes blazed with anger. "You guys don't know how these places work," he growled. "I do. You'll get us all killed."

"What do you mean?" Nya asked.

Lloyd huffed. "What if I told you this town was built by former Baddies?" he prompted. "Baddies that didn't change."

"All the more reason we should go with you," Cole pushed.

"Cole's right," Kai agreed. "If this place is dangerous, we'll be safer in numbers."

Lloyd glared at him, then at everyone else around him. They all looked determined and he let out a frustrated sigh. "Fine," he spat. He pointed a finger at them. "But you have to do exactly what I say, without asking questions. Got it?"

"Got it," the other ninja echoed.

Swallowing back his anger, Lloyd grabbed five more cloaks and tossed them to the team. "Put these on," he commanded.

Jay observed his black cloak. "Why?"

Lloyd gritted his teeth together. "You think if we show up wearing bright shades of blue, green, and red we're not going to be noticed?" he snapped back. "We're trying to stay on the down low, remember?"

He turned his head as Wu stepped closer to him. "Misako, Pixal, and I will stay behind with Laurie," the sensei said. "I understand too big of a group may cause problems in town."

Lloyd nodded. At least somebody understood.

The Bounty began its descent and Lloyd turned toward Lost Rock. He took another breath. "Let's go," he grunted. Then he hopped onto the snow.

Kai, Cole, Zane, Jay, and Nya followed him. As they walked toward the gates, Lloyd gazed down at his wrist. He was worried the closer he got to the Overlord's daughter the worse it would hurt, but so far, he felt nothing.