C14 - The Poisonous Breath

Zhou Mu's instinctive choice was the first one. If the situation was dire, he would resort to a dangerous gambit and force Gator to level up.

The gap between 2.9 and 3.0 wasn't significant; perhaps they could pull through.

As for the last resort, it was a desperate measure for desperate times.

After all, a shorter life was preferable to no life at all. Being alive meant there was hope, and who knows? Maybe he'd find a treasure that could extend his lifespan someday!

"Wait?"

Upon hearing Zhou Mu's plan, the group exchanged bewildered glances.

They were encircled by a horde of fiend beasts. If the energy shield failed, death was the only certainty.

But what other option did they have? Their only hope was for Zhou Mu to somehow reverse their fortunes.

Time flew by, and the first fiend beast had already reached them, slamming into the energy shield with ferocity.

Puff!

It was like a ripe squash hitting the ground, bursting into a spray of gore.

The beast had charged too recklessly and met its end upon impact.

Meanwhile, the energy shield stood unyielding, a steadfast guardian for the quartet.

Designed to withstand ten minutes of elite fiend beast assaults, the shield's endurance would surely dwindle given the onslaught they faced.

As expected, with each beast that hurled itself against it, the shield's surface began to show faint ripples.

With each second, the ripples multiplied, quickly escalating from one to over twenty in a mere five seconds.

Bang!

A rhinoceros-like fiend beast charged, its sturdy horns snapping, a visible crack splitting its skull.

It fell dead, and the shield, once ripple-free, now trembled slightly.

"Do I really have to do it?"

Zhou Mu gritted his teeth, his determination hardening.

He was on the verge of trading for third-rank spirit crystals to forcibly upgrade Gator when it felt like something snapped in his mind, followed by a wave of cool relief.

In this critical moment, his soul intensity had finally hit the three-point mark!

"Gator, eat this!"

Without a moment's delay, Zhou Mu produced the third-rank spirit crystals and thrust them into Gator's mouth.

A sudden glimmer caught the eye, this time concentrating on the head.

Zhou Mu glanced at his attribute panel, and his anxiety swiftly melted away.

Poison Fang: A bite that delivers venom into the target's body through the teeth.

Poison Breath: A spray of toxins projected forward, entering the target's body through inhalation.

Two abilities, one for a single target, the other for multiple.

One packed a powerful punch, the other covered a broad area.

The choice was clear—Zhou Mu didn't hesitate to pick the latter.

With just a thought, Gator instantly acquired the new skill.

...

...

Perched atop a small hill, roughly five hundred meters from the fiend beast horde, stood a black horse, its mane fluttering in the wind.