chapter fifty-nine

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐀𝐓 𝐀 table in the conference room in the UN bunker, occasionally sparing a glance up at the monitors that showed Kennedy and Bucky in separate rooms

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐀𝐓 𝐀 table in the conference room in the UN bunker, occasionally sparing a glance up at the monitors that showed Kennedy and Bucky in separate rooms. Adelaide had tried to speak to the blonde HYDRA agent with no success, leaving her incredibly frustrated and confused.

Why did that woman bother her so much?

"Okay, so I know that I helped Steve find Bucky and Kennedy and all, but... I really can't get my wings back?"

Grace looked up from her computer and her gaze settled on Sam who stood in the room doorway. She fluttered her lips and leaned back in her seat, combing her dark hair with her fingers.

"If I had any say, I'd be giving you your wings and Steve his shield," she replied honestly. "But I don't have any say. Because I still have some leeway with the US government and it would look bad for me to reward two people who technically broke the law. And a bridge."

"Are you ever going to let that go?" he asked her and she shook her head with a smile. "Even if I pay you back for it?"

Grace laughed lightly. "Sam, I like you, but you don't have that kind of money," she told him and he shrugged. "How's Steve holding up?"

"Oh, you mean seeing one of his best friends strapped to a chair?" he asked in response and she nodded. "He and Addy are currently trying to find ways to help Bucky and Kennedy. Why aren't you with him?"

She shrugged to herself. "I figured he needed some space after everything," she said, letting out a breath. "I mean—He's known Bucky longer than he's known me. And I know how hard he took his death during the forties. And then he was trying to find him for so long. I imagine seeing him—and knowing what all he had been through at HYDRA—he would want a minute."

"I don't know... He always lights up whenever you're around," he told her and she glanced up at him briefly. "He might need some 'brightening up'."

She chuckled softly. "That sounded wrong in so many ways."

"Yeah, I kinda want to rephrase that, but it's a bit too late for that," he replied and she smiled. "And maybe then he won't think you're mad at him."

"He thinks I'm mad?"

Sam nodded. "Just a bit."

Grace sighed to herself and rolled her neck. "I'm just tired," she said, leaning forward and letting her head fall into her hands. "I haven't slept much recently. I've been trying to find a way for my aging to start up again. But I was never good at science; inventing was my thing."

"Maybe Tony knows something."

She looked up at him. "He suggested that I drive along a cliff while it's storming," she replied in a deadpan tone and he pressed his lips together.

"Never mind."

She fluttered her lips and was about to say something else when her eye was caught by the monitors that showed Bucky. "Who—?" She stood up and moved closer to the monitor. Sam watched her and she tilted her head. "Who is that?" She turned on the volume and heard Russian. "No, no, no. No!"