chapter fifty-eight

"𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐈 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐃 '𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 get into trouble', this is exactly what I meant

"𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐈 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐃 '𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 get into trouble', this is exactly what I meant." Steve looked over when he heard Grace's voice and saw her walking toward him with an annoyed look on her face. "Do you know how many phone calls I've gotten in the last hour since your little car chase in Bucharest?"

"Look, Grace—"

"Secretary Ross wanted you all to be prosecuted," she continued, starting to walk in the opposite direction and he quickly followed behind her. "We had to make a little compromise... There'll be a few consequences."

Steve furrowed his brows. "Consequences...?" he asked apprehensively.

"Would you rather be in jail?" she countered, turning to look at him fully for the first time since he had returned and he sighed. "I know he's your friend, but you're breaking laws here, Steve. And I can't just ignore that."

He pressed his lips together. "I'm not getting that shield back, am I?"

"Technically, it's the government's property," Natasha answered him, walking up behind the couple with Adelaide who seemed to be avoiding Grace's gaze. "Wings, too."

Sam stared at her. "That's cold."

"Warmer than jail," Tony said in passing and Grace glanced over at him. "You know, I never thought I'd live to see the day when the man my father wouldn't shut up about became a criminal. Who knew..."

Grace fluttered her lips and walked toward the fourth man. "Everett Ross," she said and he turned at the sound of her voice. "Promise me those suits and everything won't be damaged."

He nodded. "Officially, his shield is in your possession as you made it," he told her and she raised her eyebrows. "So, what would you like me to do with it?"

She glanced back at Steve who was talking to Adelaide. "Hold onto it for now," she replied with a sigh. "I'd prefer to keep him here. Thanks."

Everett Ross nodded shortly and walked away. "So how many times do I have to say sorry before you're no longer angry at me?" She turned her head and saw Steve standing behind her.

"I'm not angry," she told him quietly. "I just... think you made the entire Accords situation so much worse. People were already angry enough and then... then the UN building blew up and you were seen chasing the man who's supposedly responsible for it." She ran a hand over her face. "And Kennedy." She let out a small groan. "You know, all I wanted was an easy life. It's like the universe is laughing in my face."

Steve held onto her shoulders. "I'm sorry I chased after Bucky," he said and she looked up at him. "I really am. But if he was responsible for the bombing at the UN, it needed to be me to bring him in. I didn't take into account that he would run away."

"It's what they do, Steve," she replied with a sigh. "They see a person who's a threat and they either fight or run. In this case, he and Kennedy did both. You also destroyed a bridge."