chapter thirty-one

"𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐄 what life will be like after the war?" Grace asked one day and Steve looked up from his reading at her

"𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐄 what life will be like after the war?" Grace asked one day and Steve looked up from his reading at her. She chuckled softly. "Sorry... that's a heavy question. We're in the middle of the war with no end in sight."

Steve shrugged. "Maybe a little," he replied, setting aside his book while Grace laid down on her bed, looking up at the top of her tent. "I haven't thought much about it. Though, I also didn't think that I'd ever be fighting in the war. Have you?"

"Sometimes," she said, shifting closer to him and feeling him rub her back. "But a part of me doesn't know what it would be like. I mean... before all of this... I spent my days cooking dinner for my brother or spending time with his butler, which sounds ridiculous hearing it. I don't know, I just... the war has given me something that I love. I can help people. I just don't know what I'd do afterward. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for everybody to be reunited with their families. i just don't know what my life would be like."

Steve nodded. "I get what you mean. For my entire life, all I ever wanted was to serve my country. Now I am but I never thought about what I would do if I wasn't in the Army."

"We're just a pair of clueless idiots, it would seem," Grace said and Steve shrugged.

"Well, then we'll be idiots together."

Grace sat in her office with her laptop open in front of her when she heard a knock on her door. She looked up. "Oh, Nick."

The Director of SHIELD let out a breath and walked into her office. "Do you have a minute?" he asked, closing the door behind him and she nodded. "There's something that I need to tell you."

"What's up?" she asked, setting her pen down. In response, Nick set down a folder on her desk and she picked it up in confusion. "What's this?"

"The Avengers Initiative plan," he replied and she quirked an eyebrow upward. "Open it. It'll tell you who I think should be in it."

Knitting her brows together, Grace opened the file to the first page. "Anthony Stark, Thor Odinson—" She looked up at Nick. "The God who destroyed a town in New Mexico?"

"Keep going."

Grace let out a breath and looked back down. "Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton, Bruce Banner, and... Captain Steve Rogers..." She blinked at the file before shaking her head with a small chuckle. "Okay, that's very funny, Nick." She handed the file to the man and took her mug, walking over to her kettle of hot water. "Steve is dead. He has been for over sixty years."

"He's not."

"Yes, he is," Grace said, pouring the hot water into her mug and steeping the tea bag. "Believe me, I heard it. I heard his last words. The static of his radio when he crashed the plane into the ocean. Steve Rogers is dead, Nick."