chapter forty-eight

𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 why she was helping the Avengers continue to take down HYDRA bases, but here she was in Sokovia, fighting in the snow

𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 why she was helping the Avengers continue to take down HYDRA bases, but here she was in Sokovia, fighting in the snow. "Was this somebody's idea of a silly joke?" she asked with a huff. "Adelaide Snow fighting in the snow?"

"Of course it was," Tony replied and she rolled her eyes, ducking her head at the incoming swing from a soldier. "You really don't find it just a little bit funny?"

"I really don't," she said, placing her hands on her hips. "It's not as though people have been saying that to me for my entire life."

"Would you two please focus?" Steve asked, interrupting their banter. "We have a job to do. You can bicker later."

Adelaide sighed and turned her attention back on the task when she was kicked in the stomach and sent flying into a tree. "Um, ow!" she said, looking up at the soldier. "Okay, that was uncalled for. What did I ever do to you, huh?"

Meanwhile, Tony flew up to the HYDRA base when he hit the forcefield. "Shit!" he exclaimed.

"Language!" Steve said and Adelaide quirked her eyebrow upward. "Jarvis, what's the view from upstairs?"

"The central building is protected by some kind of energy shield," the AI replied while Adelaide blocked another kick from the soldier and sent him backward, knocking him unconscious. "Strucker's technology is well beyond any other HYDRA base we've taken."

"Loki's scepter must be here," Thor concluded and Adelaide went over to fight the soldiers Natasha was facing off against. "Strucker couldn't mount this defense without it. At long last."

Natasha locked her fingers and Adelaide stepped on her hands, allowing the redheaded agent to lift her in the air. Adelaide landed on the soldier's shoulders and choked him until he passed out. "'At long last' is lasting a little long, boys."

"Yeah, I think we lost the element of surprise," Clint agreed, hiding behind a tree while soldiers shot at him. Adelaide fired her gun at them and he peeked around the tree trunk. "Thanks."

"Wait a second." Adelaide sighed and looked in the direction that Tony was flying. "No one else is going to deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language'?"

"It does make you seem old," Adelaide told him.

Steve nodded. "I know." He threw his bike at a truck full of soldiers and watched as it exploded. "It just slipped out."

"I thought Grace told you to stop destroying all of your bikes on every mission," Adelaide said, punching a soldier. "She's not going to be very happy with you."

"I'm not scared of her." Adelaide raised her eyebrows and looked over at him. "Please don't tell her."

Adelaide chuckled when she felt herself get flipped upside down and landed on her stomach. Groaning, she looked up and her eyes landed on a man around her age with silver and blue hair. "You didn't see that coming?" he asked playfully. Adelaide tilted her head at his accent.