chapter thirty-four

𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐎𝐅 Grace's apartment, anxiously fidgeting with her fingers

𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐎𝐅 Grace's apartment, anxiously fidgeting with her fingers. Grace had been summoned by the council to defend Nick's decision to form the Avengers which left the young SHIELD agent to bring Steve to the Helicarrier. Her first impression for the soldier had been... embarrassing, to say the least.

For as long as she could remember, she had heard stories about the skinny man who was turned into a super-soldier. The man who sacrificed himself to save the world. Though, apparently, that wasn't entirely true.

Adelaide looked up when she heard the door open and saw Steve coming out of the apartment with a brown leather jacket in his hand. He smiled lightly when he saw the blonde agent and she let out a breath. "Grace mentioned that you'd be coming to collect me," he said and she nodded, gesturing toward the stairs.

"Have you been settling well?" she asked the man, trying her best to break the awkward silence. God, I'm never this awkward, she thought to herself, pushing open the front door and walking toward the jet that was parked down the road, out of sight.

"As well as I can be," Steve replied, glancing up at the jet. "Grace has been a big help, though. I didn't know that she kept such detailed journals."

Adelaide nodded, greeting the pilot. "Gracie always was that type of person," she said, sitting down on the seat and she gestured for Steve to sit across from her. "I suppose it must make things a bit easier, though? Having somebody you know from the forties?"

Steve shrugged. "A bit," he agreed with a nod. "Though, I think it was going to be a hard transition regardless."

"Of course." Adelaide let out a breath and pursed her lips. "Captain Rogers, I just wanted to apologize for our... awkward introductions."

"Oh, there's no need."

"I promise, I'm not usually that quirky." Adelaide paused for a moment. "Well, actually, I am."

A small smile spread across Steve's face. "Really, it's alright," he said in amusement and she looked over at him. "Well, you seem to know a lot about me. What about you? Tell me about yourself."

"Why?"

Steve shrugged. "You seem to mean a great deal to Grace," he told her, leaning back in his seat. "And since we're alone in a jet together, I'd like to get to know the person I'm with."

Adelaide nodded, fluttering her lips. "Well... what do you wanna know?" she asked.

"I don't know... How did you meet Grace?"

Adelaide smiled thoughtfully, remembering the day well. "It's actually not that interesting of a story," she said with a shrug. "I was alone most of my childhood. I had to learn how to survive by myself. And that led me to do... well, not the greatest of things. The short version of the story is that Grace took pity on me and told me that I could help people. I didn't believe her at first, but now I am. I owe a lot to Grace."