chapter fourteen

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖, 𝐈𝐍 𝐀𝐋𝐋 my years of knowing you, I've never seen you this quiet

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖, 𝐈𝐍 𝐀𝐋𝐋 my years of knowing you, I've never seen you this quiet." Grace looked up from her mug of coffee and chuckled.

"I'm sorry, Colonel," she said, leaning back in her seat. "I guess I just have a lot on my mind. And I have been this quiet, you just never noticed."

Colonel Phillips shrugged. "Perhaps, but I also know that Captain Rogers certainly helped break you out of your shell. How are you?"

She gave him a tight-lipped smile. "With which part?" she asked, tilting her head. "The 'Steve is dead' part or the 'Howard is missing' part?"

"Either?"

Grace chuckled. "I'm alright, Colonel."

"You know, you can call me Chester," he said and she raised her eyebrows. "We aren't working together anymore."

She shook her head. "Colonel sounds just fine to me," she replied before playing with the top of her mug. "Colonel... can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"Why did you agree to look at my inventions?" she asked, looking up. "And even continue to use them?"

"Because they were really good," he said and she sighed. "Do you not believe that they were? Stark... they helped us win the war."

"I just don't know what to do now that the war is over," she told him with a shrug. "I mean, for so long, I wished for the war to end because so many people were losing their loved ones. But now... now I don't know what to do with my life. Steve told me of so many things he wanted to do and he said he wanted to do them with me. He would explain baseball to me, would... he would come to California with me for a little while. But he's gone and I've done those things alone."

Phillips let out a breath. "You'll figure it out," he said and she looked at him doubtfully. "Don't give me that look. I'm serious. You have a talent and you could make a future out of it. And if your brother doesn't see that, then he's blind and an idiot." Grace chuckled and looked down. "Nobody is expecting anything from you. Which means you can go at your own pace. And figure it out."

Grace opened her mouth to reply when she was interrupted. "I'm so sorry..." She looked up to see Jarvis standing by their booth. "Miss Stark, there's been an urgent matter that needs your attention."

"Urgent matter?" she replied, furrowing her brow. "What kind of urgent matter?"

"Um..." He glanced at Phillips before Grace sighed.

"Give me a few minutes, Jarvis. I'll meet you outside." He nodded and Grace turned to Colonel Phillips. "I guess I have to cut our meeting short," she said with an apologetic smile. "But it was very nice to see you again, Colonel. I've missed seeing you every day."

"I'm sure that that's not true, but the same to you," he replied and she chuckled before kissing his cheek and paying for their coffees.

She slipped her coat on before walking out to the man who was waiting beside the car. "What's the urgent matter that couldn't be said in front of the Colonel, Jarvis?"