chapter thirty-three

𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐍 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄'𝐒 apartment, reading through the journals she had given him

𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐍 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄'𝐒 apartment, reading through the journals she had given him. They certainly helped more than any file could have ever done. Somehow she had written a page for every day of the year for nearly sixty years. Any little thought she had on her mind, every major event — a new president, a new war that the United States participated in — she wrote everything down.

Steve looked up from his reading and glanced toward Grace's bedroom. Ever since he had woken up, things between the two had been awkward. It was nobody's fault; they had been separated for so long. Grace had continued living her life and Steve was still struggling with his new reality. To him, everything had happened so quickly. He crashed the Valkyrie and woke up. But for Grace, sixty-six years had passed.

As much as the two of them wished they could immediately go back to the way they were during the war, they couldn't. Neither of them was the same.

A ringing rang through the apartment making Steve jump at the sudden noise. He looked around for the source of the sound and found Grace's phone ringing on the kitchen table.

Nick Fury.

It must be important, he thought to himself, picking up the device. He knocked softly on Grace's bedroom door but didn't hear a response. Steve thought about declining the call, but he knew that Nick only called Grace if it was important. She was important. He knocked once again and when he didn't hear a sound, he opened the door.

Grace was sound asleep. He quietly walked toward her bed and gently shook her awake. She stirred and groaned. "I just went to bed..." she whined, rubbing her eyes. "Who in their right mind calls at..." She glanced at the alarm clock on her side table. "2:28?!"

"It's Nick," Steve said and she looked back at him. She took the phone from him and let out a breath, leaning back on the bed.

"Nick, are you aware how—" She paused and furrowed her brows. "I'm sorry... it what?" she asked, sitting up in the bed and Steve raised his eyebrows. "Well, did everyone get out?" She got off the bed and walked over to her closet, letting out a breath. "Okay, that's good at least. And where are you now?" She nodded, pulling out a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt. "Okay. I'll meet you there. I'll be right there."

"What happened?" Steve asked as soon as she hung up the phone.

Grace looked back at him after changing her clothes. "One of our SHIELD buildings collapsed," she said.

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 destroyed building in front of her with her arms crossed. "I have so many questions..." she said, tilting her head. "But I'm going to start with the obvious one. What the hell happened to my building?"

She looked over at Nick and raised her eyebrows expectantly. "Well..." He cleared his throat and she pursed her lips. "Do you remember the event a few months ago when a God from another world appeared in New Mexico?" he asked and she nodded. "Well—"