chapter thirty-two

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐏𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊 locks into a messy bun and wrapped a sweater around her cold frame

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐏𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊 locks into a messy bun and wrapped a sweater around her cold frame. She quietly closed her bedroom door behind her, walking toward the kitchen. She opened her cabinet, reaching for a mug when she heard a creak of the floorboards behind her.

Turning around, she let out a breath, seeing Steve. "Can't sleep?" she asked, sliding a mug of coffee toward him.

He shook his head, sitting at her kitchen island and letting out a breath. "I slept for sixty-six years," he said and she tilted her head. "I think I'll be awake for a while." He looked up at her. "Your hair looks different."

"Well it's not pinned back or falling in my face while I'm working on machines," she told him with a small chuckle, bringing her mug to her lips.

Steve shook his head. "No, it's not that," he said and she furrowed her brows. "Whatever it is, it suits you."

Grace smiled softly. "Nick wanted me to ask you if you got the stack of files he sent over yesterday."

"You mean the stack of files telling me everything I've missed in the last six decades?" he asked and she nodded, pursing her lips. "Yeah, I got them. So far I've learned that we won the war. That's as far as I got."

Grace let out a breath. "I might have something that might help more than an overview of the world's history in file form," she said, patting the table and walking back into her bedroom. She rummaged in her closet and pulled out a small box, all full of journals. She walked out into the living room and placed the box in front of Steve.

"What's this?" he asked, pulling out a journal and looking it over.

"Well, I believe that is 1946," Grace said, nodding at the leather journal in his hand. "And this one..." She held up a second journal. "1983." She pulled out a third. "And 1991... that one's less fun." She put that one back in the box and pulled out another journal. "This is 1958."

"You have a journal for every year?"

She nodded with a shrug. "After the war ended... everyone went their separate ways. This was the best way to get my thoughts out of my head. I guess it can be put to use, after all."

Steve looked down at the journal in his hand — 1946. "It's been exactly one year since the end of the war," he read while Grace let out a breath, sitting down. "Howard just said goodbye. Have I mentioned how much of an idiot he is?"

Steve looked up at her and she shrugged. "Well, he was."

"I've hardly spoken to Peggy," he continued and Grace pressed her lips together. "Last I heard, she was still working with the SSR, but I haven't seen her since the war ended. This past year has been so strange. Everybody expects us to move on as though we didn't just fight the biggest war in recent memory. At least I have Jarvis..."