chapter nineteen

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 woman who let very few people into her life

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 woman who let very few people into her life. Raised with an emotionally abusive father following her mother's death, she learned to keep her feelings and thoughts to herself. She never wanted to burden others with her thoughts, figuring they would have better things to do with their life than listen to her nonsense complaints.

But there were two people who always seemed able to make Grace say what was on her mind: Peggy Carter and Steve Rogers.

Peggy was standing outside of Grace's tent while the young brunette was working on one of her designs. She had been unnaturally quiet all day. She was always quiet, but she hardly talked to anybody, she only nodded when someone spoke to her and she avoided people at all costs.

"Has she spoken to you yet?" Peggy turned around and saw Steve and Bucky walking toward her. "She's still inside?"

"She hasn't left in hours," Peggy replied with a sigh, peeking inside the tent to see Grace sitting on her bed with her sketchbook open in front of her. "I thought she would have left to speak to Colonel Phillips by now, but he said she missed their meeting."

"Why are you both so concerned?" Bucky asked, furrowing his brow. "Maybe she's just not feeling very sociable today."

Peggy shook her head. "You don't understand, Gracie is the most punctual human being I've ever met. And this job is too important to her for her to miss a meeting with Colonel Phillips. Something's wrong."

"Have you asked Howard?" Steve asked, glancing at the brunette inside the tent. "Maybe he can try and talk to her."

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Bucky replied with a frown. "Just yesterday she had a meltdown and was shouting at him."

Peggy nodded. "I agree with Sergeant Barnes," she said, letting out a breath. "Howard might just make matters worse." She looked at Steve. "You should talk to her."

"Why me?"

Bucky rolled his eyes. "Oh, I don't know," he said sarcastically. "Maybe because you like her and she trusts you. Don't argue with me, you know it's true. Now get in there and comfort the woman!"

"Geez... okay." Steve walked inside the tent, knocking on the table on the way and Grace looked up from her bed. "Hi."

Peggy and Bucky shared a smile before walking away. "That was easier than I thought it would be."

"Speak for yourself," Bucky contradicted, shaking his head. "I swear... I'm doing more of the work than he is sometimes."

"Hi," Grace replied, looking back down at her sketchbook. "Was there something you needed? Something wrong with some of the weapons?"

"Um, no," he said, sitting on the chair next to her bed while she continued her design. "You didn't show up for your meeting with Colonel Phillips and we were a little worried."