chapter fifty-five

𝐈𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐀 few months since Sokovia had been destroyed and Adelaide and Steve had been helping the Maximoff twins adjust to their new roles as people who help others, not

𝐈𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐀 few months since Sokovia had been destroyed and Adelaide and Steve had been helping the Maximoff twins adjust to their new roles as people who help others, not... destroy others. Which is why they found themselves in Lagos with Natasha and Sam. Adelaide stood on the corner of a street with a beanie and sunglasses on, pretending to look at a map while Wanda and Natasha were a distance away at a café.

"Alright, what do you see?" Steve asked Wanda on the comms. Adelaide glanced toward the young redhead out of the corner of her eye.

"Standard beat cops," she replied. "Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target."

"There's an ATM in the south corner," Adelaide tested, looking back at the map. "Which means... Speedy?"

"Cameras."

Steve nodded from his position in a building, looking out the window. "Both cross streets are one way."

"So, compromised escape routes," Wanda said.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen," Steve corrected. "He isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

Wanda glanced in that direction. "Yeah, the red one? It's cute."

"It's also bulletproof," Natasha said. "Which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us."

Wanda paused. "You guys know I can move things with my mind, right? And my brother can run faster than a normal person?"

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature," Natasha said as Adelaide folded up the map and put it in her pocket.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam asked the former assassin.

"Not to my face," Natasha replied and Adelaide pinched the bridge of her nose at the distraction. "Why? Did you hear something?"

"Eyes on the target, folks," Steve said, trying to get their attention back on the task they had. "This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him."

"Don't get your spandex in a twist," Adelaide told him, watching the passing cars. "If he sees us coming, it won't be a problem. He hates us."

Adelaide looked over when she saw a garbage truck barrel through the street with no regard for any pedestrians or other vehicles. She pulled a kid out of the way of the truck and set him down gently on the sidewalk.

"Sam, see that garbage truck?" Steve asked, having watched everything from the window. "The one that nearly killed a kid? Tag it."

Sam obliged and a small drone from his jet pack flew down to scan the truck. "That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver's armed."