Chapter - 12

(Four months later)

I'm rocking Eryx’s crib as he giggles and waves his arms around happily. He looks so adorable and innocent, clueless of the cruel world surrounding him.

Mother left a while ago, she seemed to be quite worried about me. But I reassured her about taking care of myself.

He lets out small cries, seemingly hungry. I pick him up and feed him. The Lord enters the room with a grim look.

“We'll be attending the Royal Ball tomorrow,” he says curtly as I look up at him, “Did something happen? Why's a Royal Ball being held so suddenly?”

“His Majesty didn't specify the reason for this Ball. Hence we'll have to wait and see,” he responds calmly, but the creases in his forehead give away the anxiety he's feeling.

“Leave Eryx in Lisa's care and pick out a beautiful gown worthy of being worn by the Lady of House Atticus. I'll instruct Viktor to bring in Lady Fischer with her best gowns,” he bends down to caress Eryx, “He's growing up well. May I hold him?”

“Sure, please be careful,” I wipe the extra milk around Eryx’s lips with a napkin and hand him to the Lord, he looks at him with a pleasant expression.

“Our Son is destined for great things,” he kisses his forehead and lays him back down in the crib. He turns to me and his gaze turns stern, “I expect you to be ready on time tomorrow.”

I nod my head and reply, “I shall not disappoint.” He turns away and heads back to his office.

The next morning Lady Fischer comes in with various gowns. I pick out a few gowns that'd be proper for the occasion and also hide my scars.

After trying them on, we settled on a beautiful navy blue gown. Dana helps me to put on the outfit while Lynne helps me do my makeup and puts my hair in a beautiful updo, adorning it with sapphire accessories. Putting on the final pieces of jewellery, I get up and head towards Eryx's crib. I gently caress his cheek as he giggles up at me.

“Does mama look pretty?” I playfully poke his cheek and he giggles loudly, “Mama will be back soon. Be a good boy,” I kiss his forehead and turn to Lisa.

“I'm entrusting my son to you because I trust you. Take good care of him,” I say softly yet the command is clear in my voice. Eryx's safety and comfort is above all.

I head to meet the Lord, he's waiting for me by the front. I greet him politely, he looks at me up and down, checking my appearance, “You look lovely, my wife,” he extends his hand for me to take and I gracefully accept it. His appearance is immaculate as always, nothing seems out of place and he seems to be matching his tie with my gown.

He helps me mount the carriage, this is my first outing after Eryx's birth. Lord Caius sits beside me. We maintain a peaceful silence till I feel his fingers touching my neck, my body stiffens instinctively as my eyes dart to him.

He stares at me sternly and retreats his hand after fixing my necklace, “No need to stiffen up, I'm your husband,” he grabs me by the chin and pulls me close, leaving just a few inches between us, “Why do you fear me so much?”

“I wonder why,” I say in a dismissive attitude, trying to pull away from him. His grip on my chin tightens and he pulls me closer, kissing me passionately. He eventually pulls away, leaving me breathless. He rests his head in the crook of my neck.

“I find it so attractive when you act defiant,” he presses a soft kiss to my neck and pulls away as we reach our destination. He helps me down and we both enter the Royal Ballroom together as the herald announces our arrival. The House of Atticus being one of the major houses, many turn to greet us. The Lord heads to discuss some matters with the other Lords and I head towards the ladies for socialising.

“Lady Raya, you look as radiant as ever,” Lady Simone greets me cordially.

“Oh my, congratulations on motherhood my Lady. I didn't expect you to be here so soon after having your first child,” Lady Diane chimes in.

I chuckle at their enthusiasm, “Greetings to you all too. I couldn't waste an opportunity to meet everyone.”

Diane smiles and asks, “Is the child healthy?”

“Indeed, Eryx is growing up healthy. I hope all your children are doing well as well,” we go through the pleasantries and chatter for a while.

Everyone falls silent when the herald rings the bell. It is time for The Emperor and Empress to make their appearance.

“All Rise for Their Majesties!” The herald announces loud and clear as the Emperor and Empress walk through the doors. Everyone bows as they make their way to their seats.

Once seated, his Majesty raises his to allow all to raise their heads.

“Today is a joyful day,” his Majesty muses, “for today, we shall welcome back the pride and joy of this Empire. All bow to the future sun of the Empire of Terranova…my eldest son…Icarus Hennil Kalev…”

The crowd falls silent as they hear the name of the presumably dead Prince…

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

THANKS FOR READING!!! PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE!!!