80: Seeds Of Reconciliation

"I have tried to give her respect as Jameel's mother," Afrah pressed on, her voice laced with a desperate need to be understood. "but all she ever did was insult me, made snide remarks, and treating me like I'm not good enough to be part of her family. To her, Najah was the perfect daughter in law. I thought I didn't care but I do," she choked on a sob. "It hurts me everytime. I locked myself away sometimes," she sniffled another sob. "Not to spite her, but to protect myself but what she tells her son is different. And," she turned to Jameel. "I didn't spin anything around. She threatened me first! The last straw was when she told me she wished Fawaaz was Najah's son."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Jameel countered.

"What would you have done other than tell me to be patient and that you'd talk to her? Hasn't that been what you've always said? So I should keep being patient and allowing her walk over me?"

"So you decided to exchanged words with her?"

"I wouldn't have done that if—"

"That's enough, Afrah...Jameel," Mrs. Amina intervened. "You are not here to fight. Afrah," Mrs. Amina continued. "Are you done?"

"No, I'm not," she answered, her voice raspy. "I still have a lot to say about this—about Jameel."

"Okay, continue."

"When Fawaaz fell sick, I was devasted...I thought I was going to lose him. Jameel didn't comfort me. We returned from the hospital and instead of staying with me to take care of our son together, he just left me alone. Believe me, mum, Jameel's recent behavior isn't because of what transpired between me and his mother. No, it's because Najah left him. He can't handle it and is taking it out on me." 

Jameel's mouth snapped open, a reflex to deny the accusation. "That's not true." The words tumbled out in a rush. But did he truly totally believe his defense? It was true that he was angry about how he found out she disrespected his mother, but maybe, just maybe the anger got bigger due to the frustration of losing Najah the very same day.

"It is," Afrah fired. "And you know it."

"Okay," Mrs. Amina intervened again. "I have heard what you both have to say, now, I want you two to listen to me. I will tell each of you exactly where I think your faults are. I will start with you, Afrah. Firstly, I'm very disappointed in you. Is that how we raised you? To talk back at elders? Especially someone you're supposed to treat as your own mother? It matters little how she treats you. You were supposed to continue being the well-mannered child I have always known you to be. We instilled in you the importance of kindness even in the face of negativity. And wallahi, one day, she's going to realize she was wrong about you. But after what you did, her opinion of you might never change.

Tears streamed down Afrah's face as she listened to her mother's words. 

"Is that what you want? Are you truly happy with yourself after what you did? It's a question, Afrah, answer me; are you proud? No, right?"

Afrah could only manage a small nod.

"Then go to her and tender a sincere apology. Let her see the regret in your eyes, and the genuine desire to build a relationship with her.

Jameel stole a glance at Afrah. The absence of her usual retorts spoke volumes. It proved to him that beneath the layers of justification and frustration, was remorse. A remorse she had been trying so hard to get rid of.

Perhaps, he thought, there was room for reconciliation after all.

"And also," Mrs. Amina continued. "Jameel has complained about you being disrespectful to him. Again, this isn't how you've been brought up Afrah. Learn to obey your husband. It's very important, you know this.