60: In A Strange Land

As Afrah sat on the edge of her bed, holding her little bundle of joy, she couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude. It had been exactly a year since the precious little one entered her life, yet she was still in awe of the love and joy that he brought to her world. At first, she had a difficult time adapting to motherhood, but within a short time, and with the help of Jameel, she was able to navigate her way through it.

She could still vividly remember the day she birthed him like it was a day ago. The rush of emotions that flooded her heart as she held him for the first time was something she would never forget. The sleepless nights were difficult for her because she liked to rest a lot. The endless feedings stressed her at some point. The constant diaper changes were the most difficult for her for she used to get easily irritated, but looking back after a year, she realized that it was all worth it, because she had her beautiful son in her arms. Besides, she had already gotten used to it—the sleepless nights, endless feeding, shrill cries, and constant diaper changes. These things weren't new to her anymore.

As the days turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months, she watched as her baby grew and developed into his own little person. His first smile—she could still remember how it sent a warm feeling to her heart. His first word, although incoherent filled her heart with joy. She cherished the little moments knowing that they were fleeting and precious, especially the way he would look up at her with his big, bright eyes whenever she held him in her arms or fed him. That simple act always filled every corner of her heart with indescribable and unconditional love—a love that transcended words.

"My love," Jameel called, pulling Afrah from the little world she had formed. "I'm going to go and pick her up from the airport." He informed, then placed a kiss on Fawaaz's cheek. "I will be right back."

Afrah's face remained calm; her expression seemingly unaffected by the impending visit. Her delicate features showed no hint of anticipation or excitement. Instead, her eyes held the distant gaze from earlier. "Alright."

As Jameel left the room, Afrah heaved a sigh. Deep down, she didn't want her mother-in-law in her home. She had been bothered about her not visiting but after a year, she had gotten over it. The thought of even seeing her invoked a disturbing feeling within her. The woman had done nothing to hide her dislike for her, yet she had to pretend to be happy about her arrival.

Pathetic!

The house was filled with the aroma of freshly baked snacks. Since the previous day, Najah had meticulously prepared every detail, ensuring that even the guestroom was ready for Hajiya's arrival.

Afrah did not participate in the preparation with the excuse of not feeling well. Najah singlehandedly did everything...well, maybe with a little help from Jameel.

As the clock ticked away, Afrah realized they would soon arrive and she wasn't looking presentable enough. With Fawaaz's pacifier firmly lodged in his mouth, she was certain he wouldn't cry, so she put him back in his crib and went to her closet to look for something nice to change into.

She was still busy changing when she heard the sound of Jameel's car pulling into the driveway.

Afrah's heart skipped a beat, but her expression remained unchanged. As quickly as she could, she zipped up her dress and walked to Fawaaz's crib to pick him up before proceeding to the living room.

As she expected, Najah was already seated there, smiling from ear to ear.

Afrah huffed.

As the front door swung open, a smile played at the corners of Afrah's lips, masking the indifference that lay beneath.