64: In A Quandary

Jameel's hands trembled slightly as he clutched his phone, reading the message Afrah had sent to him. His heart raced with excitement, relief, and disbelief.

Since you walked out on me yesterday, I haven't been myself. I know I can be stubborn sometimes, but please know that I never want to hurt you.

The past few days had been difficult for Jameel. He had been tormented by the growing distance between him and Afrah. Every time he tried to make a move to bridge the distance, it ended up getting wider. The once beautiful connection they shared seemed to have faded away, leaving behind a void that was impossible to bridge.

I realized that I should have put in more effort in getting closer to your mother and it's all my fault. I took my time to prepare lunch for her today because I want to build a relationship with her. For your sake and Fawaaz's too.

Afrah's nonchalance had become a constant reminder of their crumbling relationship. It hurt Jameel to know that she did not care about him enough to live in harmony with his mother. And after the argument they had yesterday, he felt his love had slowly slipped through his fingers.

I'm sorry for the things I said...for how I handled the situation. I promise to work on my temper and learn to communicate better. I don't want us to fall apart.

That simple apology message he read held the power to mend their broken relationship. Deep down, he had been waiting for some sort of reassurance or remorse from Afrah.

I never want to be separated from you. You mean the world to me, Afmeel. I love you. So much that it hurts. Come back to me, Afrah's Jameel. I miss you. I miss us. I know you miss me too because you love me like crazy. I will be waiting in our nest for you.

As Jameel read this part, a surge of emotions flooded through his veins, threatening to overwhelm him. Relief washed over him like a gentle wave, soothing the ache that had settled in his heart for far too long. A smile, long lost to the shadows of doubt, crept across his face, transforming it into a portrait of sheer joy.

After their argument, Jameel concluded that Afrah had emotionally tapped out of their marriage. He felt neglected and unloved by her. Having her apologize to him was something he never thought would happen for he knew exactly how egoist Afrah tended to get. She hated to admit her fault, and always only wanted things to go her way. Knowing this, made him confident that she indeed wanted their marriage to work. Her text message made him feel a surge of joy and hope that he hadn't felt in a long time.

Although he had been trying lately to suppress his feelings, he couldn't deny the fact that Afrah's love was his anchor, grounding him in times of uncertainty and turmoil. Her love provided him with stability and a sense of belonging. The thought of living without her, he couldn't bear. Her love was one of his greatest treasures, something he cherished with his whole heart, even when angry with her.

Picking up his car keys, Jameel jumped up from his seat. He couldn't contain his excitement. He needed to be home immediately.

Najah was seated on the couch in the living room when Jameel walked in.

"Jameel?" Surprise was written over her face as she approached him. "You're back? By this time?"

"Yes," he replied. "I didn't have much to do at the office."

"Oh."

"Where's Hajiya?"

"She's sleeping..."

"Okay," Jameel gently squeezed her shoulder and walked past her.

"Jameel?" Najah called, making him stop in his tracks.