5: Aboveground

I'm dedicating this chapter to ___ummiey 😘💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

JAMEEL

"Najah!" Jameel yelled, lifting his left hand to take a glimpse at the time. He was clad in a white Kaftan. "Aren't you done yet?"

"Just a minute!" Najah yelled back from the room.

Jameel heaved a sigh. "We're running lat—"

"I'm here!" Najah descended the stairs looking like a princess in her purple gown.

At the sight of his wife, Jameel's jaw dropped. He knew his wife was beautiful but she looked breathtaking in her dress. She had to be one of the most beautiful women he had ever come across.

Exquisite!

"I'm sorry," she apologized. "I was having a hard time choosing the jewelry that would go with my dress.

Jameel averted his gaze elsewhere and cleared his throat. "Shall we?"

"How do I look?" Najah's question was rushed. "Should I go with a different veil?"

"White looks fine on you." He replied. "you shouldn't change it."

"Okay..."

"Let's go?"

"Until you answer my question." She smiled sheepishly. "How do I look?"

Jameel gazed at her for a second or so before replying; "The same as always."

Najah pouted; obviously not expecting that reply from him.

"Let's go." Jameel walked out of the house, leaving Najah behind to follow suit.

Outside, Jameel was already seated in the car waiting for Najah so that they could leave. He didn't want to miss the daurin aure of his best friend, Asim.

Immediately Najah got into the car, he ignited it and drove off.

During the drive, Jameel was constantly stealing glances at his wife who had been eerily quiet.

He cleared his throat, but that didn't seem to catch Najah's attention.

"You're beautiful." Jameel blurted. "You're probably going to outshine the bride."

Najah blushed. "Why didn't you say that earlier?"

"I did," he replied. "You just didn't get it. Even without dressing up so much, you always look beautiful."

Najah couldn't stop the big smile that curled up her lips. "Thank you. You don't look bad yourself."

Jameel chuckled. "So you were actually waiting for me to compliment you before you would return the gesture?"

With a smile, she mumbled, "Of course."

Jameel chuckled, then shook his head.

"You look dashing because you decided to wear the Kaftan I chose," Najah smirked.

"Oh really? Maybe you should do that more often."

"Gladly." Najah flashed her teeth. "I'd gladly do that for you."

Jameel smiled; glad that Najah was getting much more comfortable around him after he confronted her about the attitude she had been giving him.

Najah had proven herself to be a good person. Jameel wished he could give their marriage a chance but he couldn't even though he believed Afrah was dead. The thought of it alone sounded like betrayal—betrayal to his JaFrah.