73: Ego And Pride

It had been a whole week since the divorce between Jameel and Najah took place, yet Jameel hadn't gotten used to the fact that Najah was no longer his wife. 

Struggling to accept the fact that he had lost Najah for good, coupled with dispute between himself and Afrah, Jameel found himself grappling with feelings of loneliness and regret. The void in his heart was getting bigger with every passing day. Jameel couldn't help but replay their last conversation in his mind, wondering if there was anything he could have done differently to save their marriage.

On the other hand, the rift between him and Afrah seemed to widen with each passing moment, with neither of them willing to bridge the gap. Jameel was still very mad at her for disrespecting his mother the way she did, and making him defend her even when she was at fault. What made him even angrier and consumed every chance of reconciliation was the fact that Afrah wasn't as remorseful as he expected her to be. Just like him, she was keeping her distance and also keeping malice with him. Jameel was not supposed to be bothered by her actions for her already knew just how huge her ego was—how saying sorry was too big a task for her—but he still expected her to put in more effort. He had stopped eating the food prepared by her, but it didn't seem to bother her at all. He was tired of living so pathetically.

Still wallowing in self-pity, Afrah barged into the room.

It was her first time in there after the argument they had. What she usually did was knock on his door and ask him if he would eat, and that was all.

"What do you want?" Jameel asked without looking up at her. Her presence alone invoked anger within him. "If you're here to—" His voice trailed as he realized Afrah had tears glistening in her eyes.

"We have to take Fawaaz to the hospital!"

For a split second, Jameel forgot how to breath.

Afrah continued. "I don't know what's happening to him," tears streamed down her face. "He was running a fever yesterday and I gave him paracetamol. This morning, when I checked, his temperature seemed to have gone away and I allowed him to sleep but he hasn't—" Afrah choked on a sob. "He isn't waking up, Jameel. He is unresponsive."

Jameel sprang up; his heart thumping fast in his chest. He couldn't even bring himself to say anything.

"We need to take him to the hospital immediately!"

Gently, jameel push Afrah aside and hurried out of the room.

All he could do as he ran to Afrah's room was pray for him to be alright. He would never be able to forgive himself otherwise.

On getting to the room, he stopped by the door for a few seconds before proceeding to the crib where Fawaaz lay motionless.

Instantly, Jameel's hand flew over Fawaaz's forehead to feel his temperature. He was burning hot. "Fawaaz..." Jameel called, softly, slapping his cheek lightly..

A small whimper escaped Fawaaz's lip, making Afrah's head snap up. She rushed over to the other side of the crib and picked him up, hugging him to her chest.

"He just made a sound! I heard him!" Her voice was thick with emotion. "What are you waiting for? Let's take him to the hospital immediately!"

Jameel took Fawaaz from Afrah and cradled him on his own chest. He could feel his son's shallow breaths against his chest and that sent a jolt of fear through him. "He is burning up!" He said; his voice hoarse.

With pleading eyes, Afrah looked at Jameel. "We need to get him to the hospital fast! Please save my baby." Tears continued to stream down her face. "Please save him. I will die without my child."