39: A Bun In The Oven

Two weeks had passed since Afrah returned to her matrimonial home. Things had not drastically changed from how they were—Afrah still couldn't stand Najah's presence and Najah hadn't given her the opportunity to fight with her. Deep within, Afrah had been waiting for the chance. Not because she enjoyed the drama but because she wanted to prove to Jameel that Najah wasn't as innocent as she claimed to be. For some inexplicable reason, Afrah didn't buy her miss goody two shoes act. She could sense pretense in everything Najah did.

Jameel, on the other hand, had been doing everything he could to redeem his gentleman-ish self and prove to her that he made a huge mistake. Afrah couldn't deny the fact that he was doing an excellent job for he practically began to do everything she asked for. Even so, she didn't fail to guilt trip him once in a while. A part of her still hadn't forgiven him for what he did. Anytime the memory flashed in her mind, she tended to switch up and give him a subtle attitude.

There was nothing Afrah hated more than Jameel praising Najah in her presence. It invoked wrath in her. To Jameel, Najah could do no wrong, and that mentally of his irked Afrah beyond words. It made her dislike Najah even more because she had zero tolerance for manipulators.

Afrah had been trying her best to be on her lane, and she expected the same from Najah. She believed there won't clash as long as they minded their business.

Waking up feeling lightheaded had somewhat become a constant for Najah. Today wasn't an exception. She felt her head spinning and her vision, fuzzy.

Regardless of how dizzy she was feeling, she managed to complete her prayer.

Afrah was still seated on her prayer mat, making supplications when Jameel returned from the masjid and walked into her room muttering "Assalamualaikum"

She replied "wa alaikum salaam" under her breath and continued with her supplications.

Without saying a word to interrupt her, Jameel occupied the space beside her.

When Afrah had finished praying several minutes later, she greeted him; "Good morning..."

Jameel cupped her face with both his hands; his eyes boring into hers. "You look pale, Jafrah! Are you sure you don't want to go to the hospital? You've been complaining of headaches for a while now."

Afrah removed his hands from her face and shook her head. "I'm sure it's just stress. I don't want to undergo the stress of going to a hospital...besides, I despise the smell there. Thinking about it right now makes me even want to throw up."

Jameel drew her into his embrace and planted a kiss on her temple. "If you don't want to go, then we won't go."

Afrah nodded against his chest.

"You kept tossing and turning the whole night. I know you didn't sleep a wink."

"I actually did. I'm surprised I was turning in my sleep. Why didn't you wake me?"

"I did but you went back to sleep immediately."

Afrah hummed.

"What do you want to eat today?" Jameel inquired. "I'm going to make you whatever you want today. It's going to be breakfast in bed. I'm in the mood."

"What do I want?" Afrah asked herself. "Hmm...pancakes! Homemade!"

"Pancakes?"

"I have been craving it since last night."

"But I thought you didn't like pancakes. I remember that clearly."

"I also don't know why I suddenly want them," Afrah shrugged. "Can you even make pancakes?"