Chapter 33

Liam's heart raced.

He could feel each beat thumping wildly in his chest. He couldn't see her but he could hear. Johir had lured her into a secret room in the building. He wasn't aware of the room before now, it hadn't showed up in the building plans that he obtained. Anger began to well in his chest.

"Boss.." a voice said into his ear.

"Hold," he simply replied back.

Charlotte's heels clacked on the ground then went silent as she entered onto what he assumed was carpet. Her phone was being moved. He could hear shuffling sounds. Holding his breath, he listened, waiting for her to finally speak. The SUV felt void of air and the darkness outside did nothing to help his mood. Nighttime always brought out the unwanted of society in his experience.

"It's dark," Charlotte finally said, her voice hollow.

The room is soundproof.

Liam knew from experience what was going on. He had been in many such rooms in his career. And recently too.

"I want you to follow my voice. Trust me," Johir cooed.

Liam clenched his fists and ground his jaw. He wanted nothing more than to get her out of there. But Johir had gone rouge on the group, and the boss ordered him to let this meeting happen with Charlotte. He had no choice.

"Jeremy, I can't see a thing.."

Her voice escalated with fear.

"Follow my voice," he repeated.

A soft click could be heard, and Liam froze. He thought it sounded like a bolt. From a gun.

"Boss.."

"Hold!" he said.

He couldn't rush in and risk the bigger boss finding out. But he wasn't prepared to let her die. Not on his watch.

"Almost there. That's it. Ok. Ready?"

Charlotte swallowed; her body audible to Liam's trained ear.

"Yes."

A loud click sounded again along with the hum of something.

"Oh my God.." she said.

"This is the only machine in the world like it."

Liam's ears rung. He couldn't believe that Johir had taken the steps to do this. It blew his mind. He had lost the mission purpose.

"What is it?" Charlotte asked, her voice soft.

He better not tell her.

"What do you know about the temple of Seti? I know you visited once."

Charlotte walked a few steps; that Liam could make out.

"It was formed back in the late 1200's.."

"Wrong. The site was there way before that. But you already know don't you? I know that you are well acquainted with Liam."

"I..." she hesitated.

"We work for the same organization. This is something that they wanted to keep for themselves, and I plan to bring it out to the world, in stages."

Liam's pulse quickened. The boss was texting.

Go in if he harms her.

He didn't have to tell him twice, in fact, he would send a team in now.

"Go team one. Not engage."

"Copy," a voice said over the earpiece.

He watched out the windshield of his SUV as a team ran in the night, barely visible, towards the headquarters building a block over. Adrenaline coursed through his veins as he listened intently to what was happening inside the soundproof room.