Chapter 4

Zach stood in anticipation at the doors of the elevator. It was damp and dark. Slivers of light emitting from the recessed circles along the wall were the only way he could see anything . He disliked having to come here, preferring instead to communicate through his phone. Being summoned meant the auburn-haired woman was indeed a threat. The reasons for the meeting were merely guesswork though, in Zach's mind.

In this area of the building, no one except Zach would venture. The rest of the airport staff didn't even know that it existed. When the airport was built, separate contractors were hired to go deeper, far deeper, into the earth. No one had noticed either. The original construction was so massive, it took center stage. What were more noises or more trucks to anyone? Of all the conspiracy theories floating around about the Denver International Airport, the irony of this one wasn't lost on Zach.

Deep into the bowels he descended. There were no floor numbers to flash, no buttons to push or emergency handles to trigger. Only smooth muted metal with a swath of dark carpet to stand upon. He rubbed his temples. A headache was coming on. He hoped his trustworthiness wouldn't be called into question. They could see everything he had done, and everything that he was currently doing.

One thing he couldn't place though, that he had been trying to figure out, was her motive. If Charlotte was onto what they were doing here in DIA, what was she planning to do with the information beyond broadcasting it? Did she have ties to anyone of importance? He had run into the few conspiracy theorists before. What made her any different?

Shaking it off, he smoothed out his shirt and slacks.

The doors opened and he stepped out into the darkness. Footsteps reverberated onto the cement. They were coming to meet him. Circular lights flickered on with each movement he took.

"Zach."

He turned to look at his colleague, a scruffy man with black fatigues on.

"Liam."

The doors opened automatically to a bigger inner room. Air vents in the ceiling whooshed on. The disadvantage to holing up so far underground was the lack of fresh air, or windows. It could make someone feel claustrophobic, easily.

"Is he coming?" Zach asked.

Liam sat on the edge of the table, his boots gleaming in the dim light.

"No. He sent me instead. They are working on another mission right now. The cross-X is their priority."

"I get it, but this is serious, or they wouldn't have texted me."

"You know how it goes. . they have their reasons. Have to get to the next civilization."

The two men stared at each other before both sitting at the table. Liam took out his phone and opened the notes he had.

"Charlotte Locke. Born in Los Angeles, California. She is as you know, a former film researcher."

"What's she gotten all the attention for?"

Liam cleared his throat. He genuinely hated having to work with Zach and having to explain things to him. His specialty was not human relations, but field work.

"Temple of Seti in Abydos, Egypt. She discovered the presence of the ancient stones."

Zach sat up. He was more than intrigued. There was simply no way Charlotte had done that, he couldn't see how it was possible.

"The stones wouldn't be left out. How in the hell did she find them?"

"Her group was somehow given unfettered access. Charlotte wasn't tracked while there and she must have wandered lower in the temple. It seems outrageous to me, but the Egyptians are to blame. Piece of shit guards."