Chapter 18

The air outside of the restaurant was chilly. A wind had begun to pick up, indicating an impending storm was brewing. In Charlotte's heart, a similar storm was beginning to form. One of past heartbreak.

"I'm fine. Really.."

"Charlotte, seriously. This is straight up crazy! You need to leave, now. Leave Denver."

She shifted her weight, scowling as auburn hair swirled around her face.

"You don't get to call me and demand things Marcus! This isn't fair!"

"Listen, I'll come then. I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong there. And that you need me."

His words stung. That you need me. She had once needed him, no, depended on him. They were inseparable at work, on all the trips. They were more. But now he was married. The word tasted like a bitter pill, waking her up from a dream.

"Ok, yeah, come here to help me, I'm sure your wife would love that!"

The line was quiet as the pair breathed, frustration and old feelings pulsing between them. Charlotte avoided talking about his choice whenever possible. It was too painful.

Marcus spoke quietly, "We're separated."

She couldn't take any more of this, so she switched subjects, redirecting to what was happening in Denver.

Liam watched from inside the restaurant. He could feel his pulse quicken as he listened in on her conversation. This Marcus guy was apparently more to Charlotte than he thought. That made him an added liability. And he didn't like the way he was speaking to his charge. Not that it mattered, he wasn't going the route Zach was, he would keep her at arm's length. But still, he disliked any woman being treated poorly.

"Look, I left my lunch early to call you back. I needed to ask one of these guys some more questions, and you know how important that is when digging. I don't get why you suddenly thought about me."

"It wasn't sudden," Marcus softly said, relenting to the situation. "You're always on my mind Char."

Silence again spread through each like silky butter on a roll. No headway was to be had right now and they both knew it.

"I'll check in with you tomorrow. Is that ok?"

Charlotte sighed, "fine."

With the line dead, she sighed deeply, slipping her phone into her pocket. Marcus had to pick the worst time to repeatedly call. She only managed to eat her salad and ask surface level questions of Liam. And she knew there was much more to what he disclosed.

Thankfully, he gave me his number.

She planned to use it soon, to set up another meeting with the handsome head of security. For now, she had a lot to get done for her next podcast. She planned to debut it early the next morning. Her email inbox was simply flooded with replies from listeners, and full of tips.

"Anything I need to know?" Zach asked, slipping his jacket on.

"She's attached to some jack off in LA. But he's married," Liam said, glancing at his counterpart. "I'm going to follow her, will let you know if anything else happens."

The pair watched as Charlotte got into a waiting taxi.

"Fine,"Zach muttered.

Liam slipped out of the restaurant and got into a taxi as well, leaving Zach alone to stew over the situation. This wasn't what he planned for the day. He was hoping Charlotte would accompany him back to DIA. Then he could further establish their relationship through another possible tour. Now he would have to come up with something else.