Chapter 26

Josh stared as he opened the coffee shop door. Charlotte's shoulder gleamed in the sun. She wore a tank top that flowed in the breeze over the top of her jeans. It was distracting. Righting his shirt, he followed her inside. A table that was perfect and in the back of the room called out to him.

"Let's go back there," he motioned to Charlotte.

She nodded and walked casually to the tucked away spot. No one would listen in over here, which Josh knew was important for some reason. He could sense her tension. Even through her friendly demeanor.

"Thank you for meeting me. I feel bad texting you last minute."

"No worries at all, I was out on a walk anyways. What's on your mind?"

Charlotte glanced around the coffee shop before deciding that they were safe to talk.

"You told me about the buses that morning we first met. I don't know how you knew but you did. And I can't say how I know but....I know what is hiding under the airport."

Josh could feel her heart rate speeding up and taste the fear running through her veins. He gently reached forward and placed his hand over top of hers. With concentrated effort, he began to calm her down.

"Yes, I remember. What happened when you saw it?"

Her eyes met his and softened. He could tell he had effectively brought her to a calmer state. Slowly removing his hand, he relaxed in his chair.

"I found out about the runways. And I need to know more."

Goosebumps formed on the back of Josh's neck at the mention of the runways.

How did she find out about those? Already?

Not wanting to alarm her and have to calm her again, Josh kept his face neutral. He needed to pick his words carefully.

"I know about the runways, remember when I told you about them? I saw you looking at a map?"

Charlotte's face registered what he was saying.

"Do you know what lands there? What things we can't see?"

Josh studied her eyes and read into her mind, before he dared speak. This was serious, and she could be in danger if she spoke about it, that much he knew.

"I do. But we can't talk about it Char.."

Nodding, she reached out for his hand. With tenderness, he grasped her fingers and gave her a soft squeeze.

"What organization do you belong to?" she quietly asked.

"I can't tell you that. But we are trying to help you."

"You genuinely cannot hint? Even a little?"

Josh stared into her blue eyes, getting lost in the depths. He couldn't tell her. It wasn't the time.

"No, I can't. But we are here to help you Charlotte, that you have to believe. To keep you safe."

Charlotte sighed, moving her hands into her lap.

"To help me, keep me safe. I am being told the same thing by everyone it seems. Safe from what though?"

Josh lowered his voice as the waitress came towards them.

"From the organization you are looking for. They are real. Trust me."

"What can I get you both?" the waitress asked, pulling out a pad of paper.

"Two coffees to go. And a muffin, strawberry," Josh said.

As the waitress left, Charlotte grinned.

"I love strawberry muffins."