Chapter 28

Charlotte gripped Josh's arm as they stepped off the curb to quickly jaywalk across the street. She wanted to get back before the sun fully set. Being out in downtown Denver in the dark felt foreboding to her, and she told Josh she wanted to be back as soon as possible.

"The shortcut is through the alley right there," he said, pointing.

Hurriedly, they ran across the four lane street, avoiding the incoming cars, and made it to the sidewalk beyond.

"Sorry for rushing. I don't feel comfortable.."

"Say no more," he said.

Hefting her bag on his shoulder in a better position, Josh took Charlotte's hand in his, guiding her into the dark alley. His senses were heightened, and he knew they were being followed.

"This is a bit creepy Josh." Charlotte laughed nervously.

"It's sandwiched between the buildings, but don't worry. You are safe."

"With you," she whispered.

"Yes, with me."

Tuffs of air blew from vents in the ground as they passed by the city buildings. It reminded her of New York City. Minus the giant rats. In her mind, she could picture Marcus, holding her hand as they walked back to their hotel from the bars. The image was cloudy though, making her frown.

"You ok?" Josh softly asked.

He gave her hand a gentle squeeze. Her anxiety seeped out into his arm, and it felt terrible. Wanting to do something about it, he channeled his energy and sent it coursing through his hand.

"Oh."

Charlotte audibly noticed a warm sensation as Josh gripped her hand. One she had felt before. Many times.

"You are doing that, aren't you?" she asked.

Her question threw him off guard. He didn't know what to say. This conversation shouldn't be happening right now.

"Josh?"

Tugging on his hand, she stopped walking. Realizing she needed answers, Josh sighed.

"I am tasked to keep you safe Char."

"I know that. But what organization do you belong to? How are you sending warmth into my body at different intervals?"

Josh tugged her hand, but she wasn't moving. He had to tell her.

"Charlotte, I am with the Rosicrucian's. We.."

"The Rosicrucian's?"

"Yes."

"Shit."

Josh laughed. He hadn't heard her curse yet. It was sort of cute.

"I am one of the Denver chapter leaders. We are helping to keep you safe."

"From?"

"The organization that you are flirting with. That is all I can tell you. Trust me, you are in danger with your investigating."

"Enough danger to elicit the attention of the Rosicrucian's. I've met you guys before."

"In Egypt. We know."

"Yes, in Egypt. Can we keep walking? It's getting dark."

"Yes, but you don't need to worry with me. And there are others watching you too, just so you know. You are safe."

Others?

She wondered who they were. Outside of Liam and Zach possibly.

Liam.